Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 5.3 and stock ls1 heads use the same plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 5.3 and stock ls1 heads use the same plug?

Just curious on this one. I have 5.3 heads on my 02 z28. It has a built short block set up for n20, and it does have a cam. 2 questions here.

I have ngk tr6's in it currently. I can't for the life of remember if I requested plugs for an ls1 or a 5.3 headed vehicle.

ngk tr6 4177

The above is the part number. Is there any diff in a spark plug for an ls1 head vs a 5.3 heads... for example maybe more threads on one vs the other.

Also, they are colder then stock. I also have them gapped down at .032 for n20. I don't really every spray it. Can I open up the plug gap if it was tuned with a tighter gap, if so... any benefit? Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run those same plugs on my SS, and run the 5.3 heads as well. I am going to tell you right now i've recently done a ton of research on those plugs and running nitrous with them, and have decided against it. I'd go with a NGK BR6 or BR7 if I were you. Just something to consider...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that is what I heard myself. I wont be spraying it any time soon so if I had to I'd swap them out. I've been getting oil in the plug threads lately. Decent amount. It's an n20 motor, idk ring gap or such. Short block is built to handle a 300 shot so I imagine it's loose. I drive the car a lot. Put 400 miles on it in one day. I run a husky air compressor filter inline with the pcv and it does it's job. I don't get on it a lot, but I had to mccc the car because it was getting a lot of kr. Been fine since, but still oil on the plug threads. Never on the flat surface or the tip itself. Brand new heads with springs, valves, guides, and seals.

Was just curious if a 5.3 should have a recessed plug. Car runs great with current plugs. Makes good power, never misses or anything. Is there any gains from the tighter gap? Ie better throttle response? I know there is a little left to be desired running colder plugs n/a. The car has 27 degrees in it right now. Afr is 12.5 solid as a rock from the time you step on it. Very happy with my tune.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Changing the gap a little bit shouldn't change the performance. I'm about to change mine to BR7's gapped at .035" from my TR6's gapped at .040". I have 2 friends with LS1's who have done the same thing with no noticeable difference in power or throttle response
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running by my tuners to make shift point changes, I'll see if he thinks it's okay. I like what you've said so far. I will leave the tr6's for now and not spray it. But they are gapped like a blower car, got to me something there haha.

Quick Reply: Do 5.3 and stock ls1 heads use the same plug?