Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck halfway through cam swap, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck halfway through cam swap, help

Ok, So I am replacing cam, oil pump, chain, lifters (ls7), ECT. I have the timing cover off, old cam out, and new cam (ms4) already installed. I have the heads off, removed my old lifters, but I am now stuck on what to do.
I bought stock gaskets, and using stock rockers, and heads.
I bought new springs and 7.375" pushrods.

Of course I could put all my parts together, bolt everything up and just hope for the best but I would like to properly measure pushrod length and piston to valve clearance before I go any further. Neither of which am I too familiar with.

As of right now, lifters are NOT installed.
Cam is inside car, and I put the plate with the 4 bolts back together, nothing else has been touched.

Anyone know which direction I should move to next, and anyone know of good write ups on how to check pushrod length and piston to valve clearance? Do I need to find proper pushrod length first? ECT. any help would be great.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

www.ls1howto.com
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would "lightly" install the heads with the old gaskets (already compressed), and get a pushrod checking tool with a checker spring to keep the lifters from collapsing. Get your PTV/PR measurements and if all is good do a final assembly and double check a final time before you button everything up for good.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious as to how it went, and what you ended up doing
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wsierra1993
Im curious as to how it went, and what you ended up doing
Its been quite some time, but as far as the pushrod length goes, the checker I purchased was pretty self explanatory.
As for the PTV clearance, that was a long process to learn on my own, but figured it out after purchasing another new cam (smaller) because I kept getting contact with the MS4 due to improper checking (torquing the rocker bolt instead of leaving hand tight).

But I used checker springs which I bought from jegs as well as welded lifters for peace of mind when I checked and clearances were more than enough once I finally figured out what I was doing.

Car ended up spinning a rod bearing on the dyno during tuning but everything went good on a brand new short block from Thompson motorsports.

Quick Reply: Stuck halfway through cam swap, help