Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR delete question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR delete question

I asked this is the newbie section but have received no responses. Please help!

Recently installed LTs in the car. A buddy was helping me and, while I was under the car, he was suppose to be removing the AIR system. Well, apparently, this was not carried out . I popped the hood and saw that he had only removed the metal lines that fed into the stock manifolds and left the rest of the system intact (AIR pump and hoses are still there). I have back issues that are keeping me from crawling on the motor and disconnecting those hoses from wherever they are coming from under the dash. Would it be ok if I just removed the AIR pump, tore out the fuse, and then clamped off the three rubber hoses (one from pump, two that are leftovers of what originally connected to stock manis)? I read that doing the delete requires sealing off something in the back of the intake manifold but this is where my back limits my abilities, so I'm wondering if I can just clamp off those hoses and be done with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed the hose connection to the metal piping, the metal tubes and the check valves. The pump and hose from the pump to near the master cylinder for the brakes is still in place. On the Vette the pump is behind the driver's side headlight. Never any issues with it like this. You do need to tune out the errors that will get set with the removal though.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I removed the hose connection to the metal piping, the metal tubes and the check valves. The pump and hose from the pump to near the master cylinder for the brakes is still in place. On the Vette the pump is behind the driver's side headlight. Never any issues with it like this. You do need to tune out the errors that will get set with the removal though.
Thanks for the response!
Sounds similar to what my "buddy" did. He removed the metal piping and valves and left the rubber hoses slightly sticking out from under the dash cowl. The pump and the hose leading back to the motor is still there. So you're saying I can just leave everything like it is? I don't have to worry about dust or whatnot getting into those open rubber hoses? That's my main concern since I don't know exactly where those two hoses lead...

I am having a tuner reflash my pcm in the next day or two; the AIR and o2 deletes will be addressed by the tune.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Those hoses lead to the air pump it wont hurt a thing to leave them in place if you can get over the clutter. They dont go into the dash just under the cowl to some sort of plastic valve on the left rear of the engine. If you remove the air pump they are just along for the ride. Theres an electric vacuum solenoid in the same area and the vacuum line is what you would need to plug if you remove every thing but you can leave the solenoid in place with the vacuum attatched and you should be fine. All of this is particular to the later 01-02 air systems i have no experience with the earlier ones
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like the others said, you can leave them there if you want or just pull them out completely. They arent attached to anything on the engine or intake itself.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Awesome. Thank you, gentlemen!

Quick Reply: AIR delete question