Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attaching tranny to motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attaching tranny to motor?

This will be the first time doing an LS1/T-56. I've done my BBC/Muncie in my 67 Chevelle about ten times in the last 15 years along with numerous other SBC's. Any differences? Will a Chevy clutch install tool work on these?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't even use the install tool.. Just lined it up by eye when I bolted the clutch together. The tranny slid in just fine. (I put the motor and tranny together on the floor and then put them into the car ('70 Corvette) together. I think it was much easier that way. Just make sure that the tranny doesn't have any fluid or it's gonna be messy when you get it tilted ~65*.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. as for the tool. No it is a finer spline than a 4spd. I would use the tool if the motor is not out of the car, otherwise you will try for hours to stab it. there is very little room for mis-alignment in the pilot bushing on an ls1 as opposed to the lt1 setup. Its a different pilot bushing all together...tighter tolerances. I've lost count on how many i've done myself with no help, but I do recommend a second set of hands, and do drain the fluid first. It only holds like 3 quarts of dextronIII, so save yourself the headache of cleanup. Other than that it is just like stabbing a 4 spd
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Taspeed
Ok. as for the tool. No it is a finer spline than a 4spd. I would use the tool if the motor is not out of the car, otherwise you will try for hours to stab it. there is very little room for mis-alignment in the pilot bushing on an ls1 as opposed to the lt1 setup. Its a different pilot bushing all together...tighter tolerances. I've lost count on how many i've done myself with no help, but I do recommend a second set of hands, and do drain the fluid first. It only holds like 3 quarts of dextronIII, so save yourself the headache of cleanup. Other than that it is just like stabbing a 4 spd

The motor and tranny are out of the car. I thought I could use the tool just to get it sort of centered. Yeah, I had tranny fluid all over the garage when I pulled the engine/tranny. I'm gonna get one of those butt plugs for it when I put it back in.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, when they are out of the car you can align them without a tool. There is a lot more room to work And those plugs are a must have if you do tranny work very often.