Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft reluctor wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default crankshaft reluctor wheel question

I have a newly built motor that wont start, It crank and cranks and then randomly backfires through the intake after maybe 10 seconds. There is air, fuel and spark. It wont start it just cranks and cranks.
During the build I sent the crankshaft off to the machine shop to get polished (like i always do). My question is: is it possible that the machine shop accidentally moved the crankshaft reluctor wheel when they went to polish it?
The no start issue feels like a timing thing so im trying to narrow it down. I have sent many stock LS1 crankshafts off to get polished and have never run into any issues. Motor ran fine before the rebuild and its a stock LS1 crank from a 00' Camaro
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
I have a newly built motor that wont start, It crank and cranks and then randomly backfires through the intake after maybe 10 seconds. There is air, fuel and spark. It wont start it just cranks and cranks.
During the build I sent the crankshaft off to the machine shop to get polished (like i always do). My question is: is it possible that the machine shop accidentally moved the crankshaft reluctor wheel when they went to polish it?
The no start issue feels like a timing thing so im trying to narrow it down. I have sent many stock LS1 crankshafts off to get polished and have never run into any issues. Motor ran fine before the rebuild and its a stock LS1 crank from a 00' Camaro
Hook up a scan tool (not a code reader) go into engine data or streaming data and look for a crank angle sensor reading when cranking, check for faults present. It may be the sensor itself or connection. A scan tool with lab scope or osciliscope capabilities would be ideal to see wave form of reluctor wheel. It's always best to see what the ecm sees (or doesn't).
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya that, and you can pull the sensor and check if the wheel in on the crank.
Seen that.. mystery how it removed itself?

also seen cam and crank.... the block painted, or RTV sealant ("extra" sealed with the Oring still) and not getting signal form that (grounding?).
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 64post
Hook up a scan tool (not a code reader) go into engine data or streaming data and look for a crank angle sensor reading when cranking, check for faults present. It may be the sensor itself or connection. A scan tool with lab scope or osciliscope capabilities would be ideal to see wave form of reluctor wheel. It's always best to see what the ecm sees (or doesn't).
Hmm.... I dont think HP tuners has an insert for the crank angle sensor. Correct me if im wrong. I don't own a oscilloscope but it looks like i might be buying one soon
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Hmm.... I dont think HP tuners has an insert for the crank angle sensor. Correct me if im wrong. I don't own a oscilloscope but it looks like i might be buying one soon
Know anybody that does auto repair? A lot cheaper than buying one. Maybe drop a few bucks on someone that has one or access to one. I get hit up for this kind of thing all of the time from people I would otherwise never hear from.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If You search the net You can find an oscilloscope for under 200 bucks . I believe I've seen them for around 140 but have no idea where that was at.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having the EXACT! same problem. Car cranks for about 5-10 sec then pops out the intake.

Troy

Last edited by badass99ss; 04-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does a scantool show RPM and does it look correct...?

When you look thru the CKP sensor bore, does the reluctor wheel look aligned (does not wobble) as the crank is rotated...?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
Does a scantool show RPM and does it look correct...?

When you look thru the CKP sensor bore, does the reluctor wheel look aligned (does not wobble) as the crank is rotated...?

I'm going to pull my sensor out tonight to check wiring. I will also try and feel if the ring is tight.

Troy
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, installed a new crank sensor today and still have the same issue. Had a local mobile auto repair guy stop by today with a scan tool. Im getting a cam sensor signal but no crank. The PCM sees no RPM and has no crank fault codes. I probed the harness from the female plug to the corresponding pins on the PCM harness and have continuity. Ideas?

Troy
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the connector terminal pins making contact with the sensor pins (open up the connectors and re-form the terminal pins)...?

Is the reluctor straight, tight, and undamaged...?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
Are the connector terminal pins making contact with the sensor pins (open up the connectors and re-form the terminal pins)...?

Is the reluctor straight, tight, and undamaged...?
Pins look good on the harness. I can also probe the harness with power on to the PCM. I have a solid 12v form the feed, good ground from the refrence, and I can energize the signal wire and hear it trigger the fuel pump. Seems everything is good from A to B. Only unkown is if the reluctor is damaged. Hard to see if it is bent but I will try tonight, but it does feel tight.

Troy
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

OP any updates with yours? Not trying to hijack your thread but I was hoping we could help each other.

Troy
Old 04-11-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulled the sensor out again and used my cell phone to record the reluctor ring as we spun the engine. Everything looks as it should be. Im starting to run out of ideas. Don't understand why I can have spark but no RPM signal to my PCM. Here is something odd....As I crank the car my tach jumps RPM's ~2-500 for a couple secs then spins backwards and does a 360.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your cam sensor in the back of the block, I've seen when bolting the engine back together the cam sensor harness get pinched between the block and tranny and shorts out the signal ,Also check to make shore you have all the ground straps connected to the block. Check the drivers side head. there are three grounds that need to be bolted to the rear of the head, and also there's a ground strap on the radiator support on the drivers side straight in front of the fuse blocks. Theses ground straps hast to be connected to give the sensors a ground circuit . The engine block is insolated by the motor mounts and tranny mounts and so on. And also check the ground strap from the passenger side finder well to the block.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Check your cam sensor in the back of the block, I've seen when bolting the engine back together the cam sensor harness get pinched between the block and tranny and shorts out the signal ,Also check to make shore you have all the ground straps connected to the block. Check the drivers side head. there are three grounds that need to be bolted to the rear of the head, and also there's a ground strap on the radiator support on the drivers side straight in front of the fuse blocks. Theses ground straps hast to be connected to give the sensors a ground circuit . The engine block is insolated by the motor mounts and tranny mounts and so on. And also check the ground strap from the passenger side finder well to the block.
Randy, this is a LS2 402 in a 69 Camaro. Im using a LS1 PCM and a Speartech harness. The harness only has one ground and it is to the back of the head, it is good. I have grounded the engine in 4 locations to the sub and body. Yes I have confirmed I have the 24x reluctor with the black crank sensor and the 1x cam gear with the A,C wire swap done both directions.

Thanks
Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Was the motor running in the car before the tear down ?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Was the motor running in the car before the tear down ?
No, trying to start for the first time.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Found something odd to me today. I was probing the cam sensor wire harness and from what I understand is the RED is 12v supply, PIK/BLK is ground, and BRN/WHT is sig. Here is what happens....

Power on to the PCM
Test light grounded and stick RED, 12v and it triggers the fuel pump relay...?
Test light on power(hot) and stick PNK/BLK and get ground...good
Test light on power(hot) and stick BRN/WHT and get nothing.....?

Why does the PCM get signal from the red 12v supply and nothing from the BRN/WHT??

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Is the PCM aftermarket or from a factory car ? If its from a factory car you might be having a security issue like a Passive key-II, Also have you tried to start it with starting fluid to see if it will run at all ? Have some one crank the engine and you spray starting fluid threw the TB.

Quick Reply: crankshaft reluctor wheel question