Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I reuse stock lq4 rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I reuse stock lq4 rod bolts?

I recently bought an lq4 shortblock (2004+ with ls2 style rods), and didn't do enough research before I went ahead and installed ARP 2000 rod bolts. I removed the caps on all the rods when I did this... Now I know that the rods need to be resized when aftermarket bolts are used, but lets say my budget and time constraints won't allow for that. I want to re-install the stock bolts but don't really know for sure how to go about doing this.

I'm assuming that right now the caps are out-of-round, will they "return to normal" if I remove the arp bolts and put the stockers back in?

The factory bolts also had the ferrules on them, should I put them back in or leave them out this time?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I have installed ARP rod bolts in plenty of LS engines replacing stock bolts with never resizing them. No issues ever.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanted to go back to factory setup, then I would use factory bolts with the ferrules. I hope you kept the rod and caps as matched pairs.

Someone posted this a while ago, in terms of rod bolt re-use
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...rod_bolts.aspx
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

none of the rod caps have been mixed up, I installed the arp bolts on one rod at a time, I removed the caps to inspect the bearings though. From what I've read when I did this I unknowingly caused the caps to shift and when I torqued the bolts down the rods went out of round.

I know people have installed the arp bolts without resizing the rods and haven't had any problems, but I think most of those people probably installed the bolts one at a time and didn't pull the caps off.

Quick Reply: Can I reuse stock lq4 rod bolts?