Sponsored by:

Planning CA legal LS1 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhobbs
What split do I need?
8 to 10 more duration at .05" on the exhaust side.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
8 to 10 more duration at .05" on the exhaust side.
Is the Tick cam too wide a split.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Any idea on what power I would be making with the parts I posted?

It's an M6 as well.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the milled AFR 210s you can see around 400rwhp. IMO, you'll still see gains with a FAST 92 intake which an easily fitted with the egr, but I'd suggest you at least paint the red logo black or dremel it down an smooth it.
As far as the split on the tick cam it's not to much, but probably more than really needed with the AFR heads.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
With the milled AFR 210s you can see around 400rwhp. IMO, you'll still see gains with a FAST 92 intake which an easily fitted with the egr, but I'd suggest you at least paint the red logo black or dremel it down an smooth it.
As far as the split on the tick cam it's not to much, but probably more than really needed with the AFR heads.
Wow, that's more than I was expecting.

I was actually reading a thread about how to make a FAST intake look stock.

I figured the AFRs didn't need that much exhaust duration but I don't feel like my car failing smog and having to buy and new cam and install it.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The added exhaust duration our Smog Legal cam has is for added top end due to the small intake duration it carries. The idea behind the smog legal cam is, maximize the intake valve closing event and exhaust valve opening event while keeping overlap to a minimum for smog.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
The added exhaust duration our Smog Legal cam has is for added top end due to the small intake duration it carries. The idea behind the smog legal cam is, maximize the intake valve closing event and exhaust valve opening event while keeping overlap to a minimum for smog.
So wouldn't he benefit below 5k by running a 218/226 115lsa +3, over the 218/230 117lsa+2..? I've always came away with the impression that most of the similar smog cams like this only gain top-end power, please correct me if I'm wrong .
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bud I realize I'm a little late on this topic but, you might want to talk to Cunningham Motorsports here in Temecula. They build some awesome cars. And for the tune, they do great work too. Also west coast cylinder heads (http://www.proheads.com/) is Southern California local, they would probably be able to machine your stock heads for less than buying new ones. I'm taking my car to Cunningham this winter when I get the heads machined and the cam done. They are going to send the heads to West Coast Cylinder Heads.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Hey bud I realize I'm a little late on this topic but, you might want to talk to Cunningham Motorsports here in Temecula. They build some awesome cars. And for the tune, they do great work too. Also west coast cylinder heads (http://www.proheads.com/) is Southern California local, they would probably be able to machine your stock heads for less than buying new ones. I'm taking my car to Cunningham this winter when I get the heads machined and the cam done. They are going to send the heads to West Coast Cylinder Heads.
It's all good. I haven't even started buying parts yet. I was just thinking I need to find a place that could do some of the work I can't.

I plan on doing the build myself but I would definitely need a place to get it tuned. I could have them machine the block and mill the heads.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all good. I haven't even started buying parts yet. I was just thinking I need to find a place that could do some of the work I can't.

I plan on doing the build myself but I would definitely need a place to get it tuned. I could have them machine the block and mill the heads.
Email them and make sure, but I think Cunningham outsorces the machining. I am talking with them right now about doing my stuff. The heads are going to either West Coast Heads or Advanced Induction. But they are going to spec a cam, install it all and tune it. I don't have the time to do it all myself since I work so much.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Email them and make sure, but I think Cunningham outsorces the machining. I am talking with them right now about doing my stuff. The heads are going to either West Coast Heads or Advanced Induction. But they are going to spec a cam, install it all and tune it. I don't have the time to do it all myself since I work so much.
I'm still a ways out from starting any work but I will keep them in mind.

What are the specs on your build?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still a ways out from starting any work but I will keep them in mind.

What are the specs on your build?
Haven't got it all there yet. But for now I am going to have the stock 243s on my LS6 ported, I'm looking at the Advanced Induction 226 or 232cc head porting, the West Coast Heads are still on the table, just going to have to talk to them about what is included in their stage 2 LS6 heads. As far as a cam goes, it's going to be a custom spec'd cam. My car is a daily driver so I am not going to spec a huge aggressive cam. as far as valvetrain I am leaning toward LS7 stuff (reasonably priced and reliable) but like I said I am still talking to Cunningham about it. Pretty much whatever they recommend is what I am going to go with, within reason. It's not an extreme budget build, but it's gotta get the nod from the wifey so it's gotta be reasonable. I'm going to try and get it done this winter. I am still trying to get to track days this summer so I am going to wait til the season is done. If you are intent on doing stuff yourself (I can totally understand that, I would if I had the time)... there is another vendor on here that is still somewhat local to you, they are in North San Diego County, check Race Engine Developement. They do machining on everything as well.

Edit: I'm not trying to take away anything the other guys on here have posted. Just putting in my .02 in as well. There are alot of good recommendations here so you have to come up with your own conclusions. Either way there is no substitute for research.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Haven't got it all there yet. But for now I am going to have the stock 243s on my LS6 ported, I'm looking at the Advanced Induction 226 or 232cc head porting, the West Coast Heads are still on the table, just going to have to talk to them about what is included in their stage 2 LS6 heads. As far as a cam goes, it's going to be a custom spec'd cam. My car is a daily driver so I am not going to spec a huge aggressive cam. as far as valvetrain I am leaning toward LS7 stuff (reasonably priced and reliable) but like I said I am still talking to Cunningham about it. Pretty much whatever they recommend is what I am going to go with, within reason. It's not an extreme budget build, but it's gotta get the nod from the wifey so it's gotta be reasonable. I'm going to try and get it done this winter. I am still trying to get to track days this summer so I am going to wait til the season is done. If you are intent on doing stuff yourself (I can totally understand that, I would if I had the time)... there is another vendor on here that is still somewhat local to you, they are in North San Diego County, check Race Engine Developement. They do machining on everything as well.

Edit: I'm not trying to take away anything the other guys on here have posted. Just putting in my .02 in as well. There are alot of good recommendations here so you have to come up with your own conclusions. Either way there is no substitute for research.
You drive a C5 Z06? The Camaro is going to be a DD so I need to be reliable and livable driving every day. I am not trying to chase huge power.

Definitely no substitute for research which is why I am asking so many questions.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drive a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. I have Stainless Works 1&3/4 long tubes and full exhaust. It's my Daily Driver right now and will continue to be in the near future. I have the same goals. Not too aggressive on the cam so the valvetrain lasts as long as possible but I do want decent power under the curve. I would like to shoot for 400 at the wheels but I am not quite sure if it will be that high or not. For right now the lower end isn't going to be touched. It still has a stock rotating assembly with about 80k miles on it. I'm not too concerned about it right now, but if the funds are available in the near future I will probably be going with an Edlebrok E-Force 2300TVS and I will absolutely rebuild the lower end then with all brand new forged parts. I also do track days from time to time at Fontana, Streets of Willow, Chuckwala and other small local places. I don't do 1/4 or 1/8 mile drags because I haven't done a rear end swap yet.

my research so far has lead me to an Advanced inductions 226cc head port with a cam from them as well (probably the Ai 226 / 234 - .600" / .600" - 113 LSA cam on their website), comes with PSI behives, new seals, new pushrods, head gaskets, they machine the old valves and thats like $1795 + shipping. I'll probably have them do the trunion upgrades there for another $195. And dependign on how the Valve guides are might have to spring for the all new bronze guides for $250. I'm not sure if I will have them port the intake manifold and throttle body or if I will just wait to buy a FAST 92. I am also going to get a new high flow GM oil pump $76.99, LS7 lifters (brian tooley racing has eaton LS7 hydraulic rollers for $119), LS2 timing chain and gear set $60 on rockauto, I'm sure there are a few things I still need to list there but thats just off the top of my head. That all comes out to 2245.99 (not including shipping) for essentially a brand new top end. Plus labor and tuning at Cunningham. Pretty sure I can get the nod from the wifey if I can keep it under $3k for everything. So fingers crossed. I'm going to buy the little stuff like the oil pump, lifters and timing set separately so the cost doesn't seem as much as if I did it all at once.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 06-21-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

I drive a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. I have Stainless Works 1&3/4 long tubes and full exhaust. It's my Daily Driver right now and will continue to be in the near future. I have the same goals. Not too aggressive on the cam so the valvetrain lasts as long as possible but I do want decent power under the curve. I would like to shoot for 400 at the wheels but I am not quite sure if it will be that high or not. For right now the lower end isn't going to be touched. It still has a stock rotating assembly with about 80k miles on it. I'm not too concerned about it right now, but if the funds are available in the near future I will probably be going with an Edlebrok E-Force 2300TVS and I will absolutely rebuild the lower end then with all brand new forged parts. I also do track days from time to time at Fontana, Streets of Willow, Chuckwala and other small local places. I don't do 1/4 or 1/8 mile drags because I haven't done a rear end swap yet.

my research so far has lead me to an Advanced inductions 226cc head port with a cam from them as well (probably the Ai 226 / 234 - .600" / .600" - 113 LSA cam on their website), comes with PSI behives, new seals, new pushrods, head gaskets, they machine the old valves and thats like $1795 + shipping. I'll probably have them do the trunion upgrades there for another $195. And dependign on how the Valve guides are might have to spring for the all new bronze guides for $250. I'm not sure if I will have them port the intake manifold and throttle body or if I will just wait to buy a FAST 92. I am also going to get a new high flow GM oil pump $76.99, LS7 lifters (brian tooley racing has eaton LS7 hydraulic rollers for $119), LS2 timing chain and gear set $60 on rockauto, I'm sure there are a few things I still need to list there but thats just off the top of my head. That all comes out to 2245.99 (not including shipping) for essentially a brand new top end. Plus labor and tuning at Cunningham. Pretty sure I can get the nod from the wifey if I can keep it under $3k for everything. So fingers crossed. I'm going to buy the little stuff like the oil pump, lifters and timing set separately so the cost doesn't seem as much as if I did it all at once.

Long tube headers? How does that pass smog?

How are the track days at Fontana? The track is not too far from my house and was interested in going. I know Streets of Willow is a decent drive but wanted to check it out as well. I haven't heard of the other track.

Yeah, I was thinking LS7 lifters as well and just doing the trunnion upgrade on my stock rockers. I forgot to list a new LS6 oil pump as well.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man what a head ache...E-Rod LS3 is expensive, but the easiest and proven performing solution.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Long tube headers? How does that pass smog?

How are the track days at Fontana? The track is not too far from my house and was interested in going. I know Streets of Willow is a decent drive but wanted to check it out as well. I haven't heard of the other track.

Yeah, I was thinking LS7 lifters as well and just doing the trunnion upgrade on my stock rockers. I forgot to list a new LS6 oil pump as well.
I never said it was 'legal' or if I was registered in CA there are certain things which shall remain a shrouded in secrecy.... haha

Oh and the trackdays at fontana are super fun. The ROVAL track is amazing. You go through the road course in the center of the Nascar oval, behind the pits area and then go up on the banked front straight and go as fast as you dare. I have a few videos in my cobalt on there. youtube search ryridesmotox and check the layout. I was getting to 145mph easily on the straight and I was backing off early cuz I didnt want to put my daily driver into turn 1 on the steep bank and into the wall. The g-forces feel like they are going to shoot you into the next county. Exhilerating doesn't even begin to describe it
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know AFR 205/210 are carb legal ,great heads . extra cubes are good to ,and the longer stroke make it easier for a after market cam to pass .I feel it is cheaper to build a ls383 with ported legal casting number heads ,then to install afr heads on a stock GM ls1 stock block.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Man what a head ache...E-Rod LS3 is expensive, but the easiest and proven performing solution.
Why is it a headache?

Is it really that weird that I want to keep it stock cube LS1, N/A and smog legal?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

I never said it was 'legal' or if I was registered in CA there are certain things which shall remain a shrouded in secrecy.... haha

Oh and the trackdays at fontana are super fun. The ROVAL track is amazing. You go through the road course in the center of the Nascar oval, behind the pits area and then go up on the banked front straight and go as fast as you dare. I have a few videos in my cobalt on there. youtube search ryridesmotox and check the layout. I was getting to 145mph easily on the straight and I was backing off early cuz I didnt want to put my daily driver into turn 1 on the steep bank and into the wall. The g-forces feel like they are going to shoot you into the next county. Exhilerating doesn't even begin to describe it
Haha ok, that's what I figured.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I really need to try it now.

Originally Posted by garygnu
I know AFR 205/210 are carb legal ,great heads . extra cubes are good to ,and the longer stroke make it easier for a after market cam to pass .I feel it is cheaper to build a ls383 with ported legal casting number heads ,then to install afr heads on a stock GM ls1 stock block.
The stroker kits I have seen are about the same price as the AFR heads. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Quick Reply: Planning CA legal LS1 build