Sponsored by:

Planning CA legal LS1 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhobbs
Why is it a headache?

Is it really that weird that I want to keep it stock cube LS1, N/A and smog legal?
No not weird considering how F'd up CA. laws are. Now if you lived in a state with lax emission laws and wanted it smog legal, then yes I would think that was weird.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
No not weird considering how F'd up CA. laws are. Now if you lived in a state with lax emission laws and wanted it smog legal, then yes I would think that was weird.
Well if I wasn't in CA, I would go with a bigger cam, long tube headers and a car less ORY or TDs.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it a headache?

Is it really that weird that I want to keep it stock cube LS1, N/A and smog legal?
It's not weird, but not really practical. Items like a camshaft are the same price whether you go wild (not smog legal) to mild. You really have very little to gain with the large investment of money. If you want big power and still remain smog legal, you need a larger cube engine. The E-rod is the ticket for CA or else you might end up with a product and does what you want, but flags at the smog check...wouldn't that suck.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
It's not weird, but not really practical. Items like a camshaft are the same price whether you go wild (not smog legal) to mild. You really have very little to gain with the large investment of money. If you want big power and still remain smog legal, you need a larger cube engine. The E-rod is the ticket for CA or else you might end up with a product and does what you want, but flags at the smog check...wouldn't that suck.
The EROD LS3 is around $7K. If I can get similar power out of my LS1 for less, why would it be better to switch to the LS3? Not to mention, the LS3 is not a drop in motor. There are different harnesses and other other parts that need to be changed.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

The EROD LS3 is around $7K. If I can get similar power out of my LS1 for less, why would it be better to switch to the LS3? Not to mention, the LS3 is not a drop in motor. There are different harnesses and other other parts that need to be changed.
For the money I agree, but you won't hit the LS3 power levels and still be CA smog compliant. You basically are limited with the LS1 if you have to pass smog.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

For the money I agree, but you won't hit the LS3 power levels and still be CA smog compliant. You basically are limited with the LS1 if you have to pass smog.
Why not? The LS6 hit 405 horsepower. I would be using better flowing heads, bigger cam, better flowing intake and better flowing exhaust. I would hit close to the LS3 EROD if not more power.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha ok, that's what I figured.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I really need to try it now.

The stroker kits I have seen are about the same price as the AFR heads. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
Yea LOL I hate the SMOG controls in this state... BUT we can run track days all year long pretty much with great weather.

I think he means cost benefit on doing AFR heads vs a 383 (or similar) stroker... you will be ahead if you go 383 with stock heads vs afr heads on a stock lower end. I'm just assuming thats what he meant anyways. Seems logical to me. No replacement for displacement.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Yea LOL I hate the SMOG controls in this state... BUT we can run track days all year long pretty much with great weather.

I think he means cost benefit on doing AFR heads vs a 383 (or similar) stroker... you will be ahead if you go 383 with stock heads vs afr heads on a stock lower end. I'm just assuming thats what he meant anyways. Seems logical to me. No replacement for displacement.
I'm sure I can make more power with a 383 but that's not what I want.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Why not? The LS6 hit 405 horsepower. I would be using better flowing heads, bigger cam, better flowing intake and better flowing exhaust. I would hit close to the LS3 EROD if not more power.
A bigger cam is what will kill your smog goal. In a max effort attempt (still within CARB), I would be interested in what you can achieve.

I have a feeling this is why GM started upping the Cubes...They couldn't make the power and still be SMOG legal. Why else would they go 5.7, drop it for a 6.0, than drop it again for the 6.2 when the HP was only 20 more than the Z06 LS6? Why would you change tooling and castings if it can be done easily with the 5.7?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garygnu
I know AFR 205/210 are carb legal ,great heads . extra cubes are good to ,and the longer stroke make it easier for a after market cam to pass .I feel it is cheaper to build a ls383 with ported legal casting number heads ,then to install afr heads on a stock GM ls1 stock block.
Very good point and I do see the logic in it, but most (including me) will want to run with stock cubes while modifying along the way to reach their particular set of performance goals until their engine just plain wears out or suffers a catastrophic failure; then go with more cubes. Ultimately bhobbs will have to make the choice on the route he want to take.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

A bigger cam is what will kill your smog goal. In a max effort attempt (still within CARB), I would be interested in what you can achieve.

I have a feeling this is why GM started upping the Cubes...They couldn't make the power and still be SMOG legal. Why else would they go 5.7, drop it for a 6.0, than drop it again for the 6.2 when the HP was only 20 more than the Z06 LS6? Why would you change tooling and castings if it can be done easily with the 5.7?

The Tick Performance cam has more lift and duration than the LS6 cam and is designed to be smog legal.

I know you can make more power with more cubes. I'm not trying to make max power, I'm wanting to make more power than an LS6 while using the stock bottom end and staying N/A.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Would I see enough gains from the FAST 92 over the LS6 to be worth that money?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

With the milled AFR 210s you can see around 400rwhp. IMO, you'll still see gains with a FAST 92 intake which an easily fitted with the egr, but I'd suggest you at least paint the red logo black or dremel it down an smooth it.
As far as the split on the tick cam it's not to much, but probably more than really needed with the AFR heads.
I haven't started the build yet but I was re-reading this thread. Why would I need to cover or grind off the FAST logo?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't started the build yet but I was re-reading this thread. Why would I need to cover or grind off the FAST logo?
Because it's not Smog legal(no CARB EO #) in California, and with the raised bright red logo removed the black FAST 92 intake manifold looks a lot like a factory one.

So have you decided on a cam choice yet ?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Because it's not Smog legal(no CARB EO #) in California, and with the raised bright red logo removed the black FAST 92 intake manifold looks a lot like a factory one.

So have you decided on a cam choice yet ?
Oh ok. Makes sense.

I decided the Tick smog cam. It would be easier to swap the manifold out than a cam.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Teching In

So how far has the build come? I plan on starting my build later but with the ca smog I'm trying to get all the ideas I can.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Default Lol

Would a stock GM crank work or should I look into after market cranks?
It's crazy looking bk in year 2024. How people was so misinformation on the high 4 digits HP TQ numbers theses early and later LS motors are well at. I was the 1st to put a full weight true stock tq arm suspension 02 Camaro in the 80s, 5.80s bk when people were saying a max effort cam and loose converters was to big. On a sbe even with OEM factory fasterns bolts I've made well over a grand HP. On nitrous with no progressive system. Gen 3, 4 LS are some of the most reliable and toughest Factory OEM motors any car manufacturer have Eva made. From factory 6 bolt main cap with 2 cross drill side bolts to stop the crank from walking to deep skirted bottom end design to factory heads that flow big block numbers. But it's lol to look bk and see the total lack of knowledge and confidence in GM Ls platform even by or own GM people.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:44 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,163 Posts

John Salary Jr…where are you in Ga?

Quick Reply: Planning CA legal LS1 build