Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Shelf Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 6.0 Shelf Life

I have the opportunity to buy a LQ4 that was rebuilt by Rockford Racecraft in Rockford IL. It was built mostly stock but has a ZO6 hot cam kit with upgraded valve springs, iron heads with porting. The build was 4 years ago and the engine has been sitting in a garage. It was not wrapped, cylinders fogged or oil in the pan.

Question: Is this thing still safe to drop in and go? Does it need to be gone through due to possible surface rust?

Thanks

TT
Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

impossible to really know unless you take the heads off and inspect the cylinder walls. I would also turn it over a few times by hand (with heads off) to make sure its smooth.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
impossible to really know unless you take the heads off and inspect the cylinder walls. I would also turn it over a few times by hand (with heads off) to make sure its smooth.
I agree, an inspection should be performed before trying to turn the engine over. Can you borrow a borescope or you might purchase one from Harbor Freight ( inexpensive and a neat toy!). That way you can look in to the cylinders to see if the walls were oiled adequately prior to assembly. Most shops will use an assembly grease or lube that will stick to the bearings, etc. so they may be OK. If things look good, spray some fogger in to all the cylinders and see if you can manually get some oil pressure and turn it over by hand. If it doesnt turn easily, spark plugs removed, you will probably have to start disassembling to do a more indepth inspection. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Shelf Life