Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, maybe a new motor is in order

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, maybe a new motor is in order

Well, two months ago my car (01 SS M6) started dripping coolant from around the water pump. The car never overheated and only appeared to drip while cold. The car is currently my daily driver and with no time for repairs, I purchased one of those leak sealers that are powdered and put it in. Needless to say, the leak stopped, the car operated normally. Now I notice a thick coating of sludge in the coolant reservoir. It almost looks like the motor oil is mixing with the coolant but funny thing is that it rides on top of the collant instead of mixing up with it, you know like chocolate milkshake. The oil in the engine is nice and clean and I get no gunk on the oil filler cap.
There is no overheating at all, as a matter of fact, the fans in my car barely come on at all. The temperature gage stays on the middle of the scale at all times. Oil pressure is excellent in my opinion, it stays above 40 (per the gage) even while idling at operating temperature with the normal rise in pressure when the RPMs go up.
So, needless to say, I am in a conundrum. I just flushed the entire system and put fresh coolant in it to see if it goes away. I suspect that the sealer that I put in turns into this compound, whatever.
Anyways, I wanted to put it out there, oil in coolant but no coolant in the oil. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

regards,

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

flush and refill then see what happens
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Usually that sealer looks a lot like oil contamination, as above try fresh coolant first and see how it comes out. That sealer works for what it is supposed to do but it's nasty stuff.

Only other possibility of oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil is an oil cooler leak on a liquid-liquid setup, and the LS doesn't have that system. Almost certain that your issue is the gunk you added and won't hurt anything.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Teching In

thanks very much for the comments. We'll see what happens. I really suspect that the sealer is the culprit.

regards,

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the sealer. I did it once when I had a tahoe and it took forever to get all the access out.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does your car have the Power Steering Cooler? If it does, I would put money on it being out.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Hi DrTran, I am not sure this car has one of those into the rad. It is a 01 SS. I will check for sure.

jd
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another vote on the power steering cooler. you can bypass the lines that go it, and then get the upper radiator hose for cars without the cooler.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Also to address your original problem if there is a leak behind the water pump it could be a weep hole and you may want to replace it
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Hi DrTran, I am not sure this car has one of those into the rad. It is a 01 SS. I will check for sure.

jd
It's actually not in the radiator. It's located in the upper radiator hose, pictured in this link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15580367-post4.html

Also if your water pump was leaking, get it replaced.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is a true ss car it should have the cooler and I agree is the probable cause. Make sure you pull it out of the loop and flush again.

Quick Reply: Well, maybe a new motor is in order