Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High volume oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dod engines don't hold 8 quarts. The stock pump is designed to be sufficient for stock engines.

Most people don't realize they have oiling problems without a datalogger to show what the pressure is doing at high rpm , gear changes, launch and braking.

There has been gpm measurements done on this engines by Dart and schumannsand the # I saw were very similar and a stock ported pump dosnt meet those requirements.

Tim
Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awd-rwd racer
b/c the DOD engines use 8+ quarts of oil and use the oil pressure to turn the lifters on and off. so do not use a DOD oil pump unless your car has DOD
so when you do a DOD delete do you change the oil pump cause its not DOD anymore??? Fact is the DOD puts out 35% more pressure then stock... 6quarts or 8quarts of oil why spend the money on a high dollar HV for 18%???
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Do I need one? I am building a new stroker, rod and main bearing clearance is .0025. I bought a new standard volume high pressure Melling Select pump but now I am wondering if I need the high volume, high pressure.

If I run the High Volume do I need to change pans to run more oil?
Your oil clearance will actually grow some more on the mains since it's an alum. block. Run the #10296 oil pump with the "blue" spring installed and 6qts in the pan.

Quick Reply: High volume oil pump?