Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle or K1 H-beams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eagle or K1 H-beams?

Looking for a set of rods for my 370 build in 6.125 length. I've heard alot of good stuff about the newer K1 rods, supposedly they are billet but then others tell me they aren't "really" billet yada yada. I just wanna break it down to the facts, I know all the h-beams in this price range come from the same forging facilities in china but the price of the K1's is about $100 more than the eagle rods, I have no problem paying the extra money I just wanna know what makes them worth more if they come from the same place? Im shooting for approx 1000rwhp so obviously stronger is better. Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

They aren't billet, but the ultralites are a nice alternative to Compstar rods. Personally I'd do Compstar but the K1s are a close second. Eagle isn't bad, but since they don't hold much of a price advantage if any over the K1 or Compstars, I'd only consider them if the price delta was pretty large ($100+).

Compstars are lighter than the K1 Ultralites, but both are relatively lightweight for 4340 Forged rods. And both have ARP 2000 Rod Bolts standard. They are Chinese alloy, but machined and finished/QC'd here in America.

If you want Billet rods, the Oliver and Callies I-Beams are Billet, and are USA forgings. They are also 3X as expensive. Or you can go with a GRP Aluminum rod that's even more money...

Last edited by JakeFusion; 05-06-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids
Looking for a set of rods for my 370 build in 6.125 length. I've heard alot of good stuff about the newer K1 rods, supposedly they are billet but then others tell me they aren't "really" billet yada yada. I just wanna break it down to the facts, I know all the h-beams in this price range come from the same forging facilities in china but the price of the K1's is about $100 more than the eagle rods, I have no problem paying the extra money I just wanna know what makes them worth more if they come from the same place? Im shooting for approx 1000rwhp so obviously stronger is better. Thanks
Eagles will be fine. Just make sure they come with ARP 2000 bolts, and make sure the BIG end bores are perfectly round, and that quailty bearings and assembly procedures are done properly.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
Eagles will be fine. Just make sure they come with ARP 2000 bolts, and make sure the BIG end bores are perfectly round, and that quailty bearings and assembly procedures are done properly.
lol my engine guy didn't like that I said I had eagle rods, but said he could make them work

I researched them and never found a thread where someone broke one
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle h beams are more than up to the task. I have them in my motor now, had them in several Honda engines making anywhere from 500-900whp. Had them in a 588 BBC making over 900hp on motor and 1100 on spray. As long as they are being torqued and stretched properly (most failures from overstretching bolts) then you should never have any issues.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Eagle rods are fine. The thing you pay for with K1 or Compstar (and you're not paying much more) is the quality of machining/tooling that make them easier to install. One example is the 4" stroke clearance. K1/Compstar come machined to clear. Eagle 3D rods do not for the LS1 IIRC.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Eagle rods are fine. The thing you pay for with K1 or Compstar (and you're not paying much more) is the quality of machining/tooling that make them easier to install. One example is the 4" stroke clearance. K1/Compstar come machined to clear. Eagle 3D rods do not for the LS1 IIRC.
Yeah true, I didn't have to worry with that on my stock cube motor but that def helps out.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having had Eagles in the old engine the new one has compstar I beams. The finish on them is much nices. The big ends measured up perfect.

More $ but worth it.

Tim

Quick Reply: Eagle or K1 H-beams?