Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!!! Problems after pushrod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
In an earlier post you said you changed one lifter and pushrod. Apparently that lifter is made different and will require a shorter pushrod, if you intend to keep using it. I would call TSP and get a complete set of lifters and good pushrods. Problem solved.
I have stock lifters in my car and I replaced it with another stock lifter. I don't think it requires a different pushrod,I just simply think it was bad. If I could afford a whole set of lifters and pushrods believe me I would get them.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Pull both rockers off #8. roll the engine over till you have both lobes on the base circle. See if the pushrods are the same height. Remove the pushrods and see if they are the same length. Make sure you got the pushrod all the way in the lifter cup. Look for damage on one end.
probably a simple problem.

That one lifter could also be stuck....no plunger travel. see if you can compress it with the pushrod......

Ron
Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Pull both rockers off #8. roll the engine over till you have both lobes on the base circle. See if the pushrods are the same height. Remove the pushrods and see if they are the same length. Make sure you got the pushrod all the way in the lifter cup. Look for damage on one end.
probably a simple problem.

That one lifter could also be stuck....no plunger travel. see if you can compress it with the pushrod......

Ron
Will do. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay so I got the cylinder head pulled back off today. The lifter seemed to be stiff as a board. The little black cup in the lifter that is under the retainer clip, it was all the way up and completely solid. It wouldn't move at all. I compared it to the other lifters in the motor and those are kinda springy. They didn't move much but they did move a little. The one I pulled out was rock solid. I guess I found not only my misfire issue but the excessive oil issue as well. There was no damage to the piston or the valve so I guess I lucked out big time. It will go back together tomorrow and I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Okay so I got the cylinder head pulled back off today. The lifter seemed to be stiff as a board. The little black cup in the lifter that is under the retainer clip, it was all the way up and completely solid. It wouldn't move at all. I compared it to the other lifters in the motor and those are kinda springy. They didn't move much but they did move a little. The one I pulled out was rock solid. I guess I found not only my misfire issue but the excessive oil issue as well. There was no damage to the piston or the valve so I guess I lucked out big time. It will go back together tomorrow and I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes. Thanks again for all the help.
Pull the lifter apart and see what is jamming it.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Swapped out that lifter with a another one I already had. Got it all put back together with a new set of AcDelco platinum plugs and MSD wires. Even though the weather wasn't the best tonight I took her around the block. She runs fantastic. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
Pull the lifter apart and see what is jamming it.
I'll probably get around to that later this weekend.

Quick Reply: Please help!!! Problems after pushrod replacement