Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel inspection cover?? Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel inspection cover?? Should I be worried?

Ok so I've been under my car half a dozen times (made easier by owning a lift), and never noticed until the other day that I can see a significant amount of my flywheel as well as some open space. This strikes me as odd... the other cars that I have owned always had some sort of cover. I noticed that the flywheel looks pretty rusty. Should I worry about this? Anyone know where I can get this cover or what it might be called? More importantly, is there even supposed to BE a cover here? I noticed 2 empty bolt holes but that doesn't mean much.
I haven't noticed anything terribly wrong with clutch play or power transmission, however, the last few times that I romped on it the clutch did feel "funny". Almost ... squishy? It held perfectly fine, no slip, no chatter.... but it very well could be the sock clutch and approaching 100k miles.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel inspection cover??  Should I be worried?-0519131334.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By cover I think you mean the bellhousing. Looks fine to me bud. I think you just need a clutch replacement 100k miles on a stock clutch will eventually start feeling funny or start making noises along the way. You could always upgrade your flywheel along with your new clutch.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

AIRC, there are plastic covers that go on the hsg.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine's missing as well, on the driver side though. When I did my clutch swap the thing just fell apart. I called Tick as well as TDP and both said don't worry about it one bit.

No worries. Run it like it is.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run it like that man looks good to me
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright sounds like a pretty good consensus of don't worry about it. For clarification, I don't know that the clutch HASN'T been replaced, I'm just operating under the assumption that it hasn't since I don't know. It has great grip and plenty of pedal left. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Flywheel inspection cover?? Should I be worried?