Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper engine noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking upper engine noises

I recently purchased a 01 trans am and it is a beautiful car inside and out. the 1 problem is valvetrain noise, and ive found out my problem is wore out lifters and springs. ive been reading on how a lot of people have similar noises and not saying theres is the same but this is what I found out in my dark knight. know as valve floating! I am going to replace upper end in time but having a house now and 2 beautiful children ill have to wait awhile. im just thankful to have another T/A again its been 11 years, so I can wait awhile and deal with annoying noise for now. good luck to others quieting ur babies down.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Valve float is typically a result of undersized springs @ high RPM. Not something you hear & diagnose as valvetrain noise. LS engines have valvetrain noise. Sounds like a sewing machine. If that's what you hear, it's normal. If there's a bad lifter it will make a louder click. Regardless, if you're gonna do springs, do the valve guides while in there.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Teching In

yeah it has 136000 on it and im sure sum r hard but the lifter thing is for sure and weak springs also. when I race it up and let off I can hear them floating. same noise my stang did years ago. im not racing it anyways just a cruising car for now. but plan on going thru it in future. very fast and not totally sure what has been done to it. was just told it has 400 hp.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

You wont feel or hear the valves floating off the gas, that is for sure.

Quick Reply: upper engine noises