Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help finding misfire

So I bought my car with a slight misfire. You can't really notice it at idle, but you can tell as it shakes the car a bit in the 2.5K RPM range.

It's a 1998 Camaro Z28 with the LS1. It has headers, no cats with resistors in place, bored TB, and I don't know if theres an aftermarket cam or tune which could also be the problem.

My misfire history is showing the following:

1:250
2:8696
3:3101
4:0
5:7391
6:0
7:0
8:1979

I took it into a performance shop and they told me they ruled out spark, so that's not the problem. They said they doubt it machanical as well, so I will hold off on a compression test.

Apparently cylinder #2 is misfiring the worst when they hooked it up to their scanner, and that may be the cause as it's making the rest of the cylinders look like a misfire from the crank sensor..?

Anyways they told me to swap injectors #2 and #4 instead of them doing it so I could save some money, which I will get to later this week.

I don't feel like it could be an injector although anything is possible.
I am just looking for some feedback on what else could possibly causing this misfire. Also, what are the steps for removing the rail and injectors?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to say with a good scanner they should he able to look at all the sensors while its running...my buddy has a 98 and tryd a ported tb and it drove his nuts.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ultraZ1911
It's hard to say with a good scanner they should he able to look at all the sensors while its running...my buddy has a 98 and tryd a ported tb and it drove his nuts.
My TB isn't ported but it has been bored and polished, although that couldn't be the case.

In the past I have picked up a P0300 Multiple/random misfire, P1404 EGR stuck closed and a P0440 EVAP issue, but those all went away and never came back (yet).

I cleaned the EGR and it hasnt set a code since. The EVAP was pretty random and only seen it once while driving.

I have my own scanner, and all the sensors look fine. The LTFT and STFT are within -+10, 02's look great, everything looks normal..Could a bad crank sensor cause this issue? Although a few cylinders have no MF history, so maybe not.. This is a tricky one..

Will update more after swapping injectors.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Swap coils to see if problem follows coil. I had a bad coil with no misfire codes. Car would idle a little rough and at part throttle. The way i found the bad coil i started car and with an infared heat gun checked the temp on each header primary and found #8 primary temp was alot lower than all the other primaries. Changed coil and problem fixed.

Quick Reply: Help finding misfire