Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsunami or MS4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsunami or MS4?

Have a 2002 trans am M6 w/ 4.10s and its time for new valve springs and lifters. Full bolt on car with ported 243 heads and currently 228R texas speed cam. I'm wanting to go bigger on the cam because its not my daily driver anymore. It is still a street car with vacuum brakes and a/c so I'm trying to hear from some guys running similar setups their input. I have it ready to pull the heads tomorrow at lunch and I'm going to check my valve size and cc the chambers because these heads were on it when I got it and I'm not really sure how they stand. I can only see mill marks in the intake runners for now. I'm trying to choose between texas speed tsunami or MS4. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been running the tsunami for a couple years now. it is a very aggressive cam, sounds very good, drivability is not the best but car is not my daily so I don't mind. car does die sometimes, especially in the morning(*if the ac is on to it will not stay running, that's is only on cold motor tho) I also have ported 243 heads. my car made 427rwhp on a mustang dyno and I have ran a best of 12.1@116 at the track. the car is capable of 11s easily, but im using stock clutch and it sticks to the floor every run and that hurts my times pretty bad. both cams have high lift, the ms4 has a little more duration on both sides. what I am gonna do is pick up some afer 210-215cc heads and have a cam custom speced by someone that knows what those heads like. if i were u id go custom grind as well. that way you should make more power than u ever could with a shelf cam, neither the tsunami or MS4 is built specifically for those heads. anyway good luck on whatever you choose, the tsunami seems to be an allright cam.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks man that's just what im asking to hear. My opinion of drivability is pretty lenient as well. As long as my wife can keep a/c . As soon as I get my heads off, I'll probably give texas speed a call and see what they suggest. They have been good to me in the past on my other 2 builds. My current setup was what came in my car when I got it and was put together and tuned in NM. I recently had it dynod at kp racing in Houston's open house on a mustang and it made 338.... That is weak valve springs but still was not impressed with what was in this. Joe also told me that if I only changed the springs and lifters and he tuned it, their was a lot still on the table. But if a refresh, little bigger cam and good tune can pick up ~100rwhp I'm all in.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Neither one. LSK lobes are terrible for street cars.

Go look at a SNS Stage 3 from Tick (235/243), the BTR Stage IV (235/242) from Brian Tooley, or something like an EPS 234/242. All will drive better and be less violent on your valvetrain.

I'd go EPS since it's ground on billet cores from Cam Motion and uses an endurance lobe profile that makes power but doesn't kill your valvetrain. You also get a cam doctor report that shows you exactly what you have.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Teching In

I have an ms3 in my T/A with 225prc heads fast 92 intake and tb 42 lb injectors and it hauls *** that's with an ls7 clutch stock rear end
Old 06-20-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Neither one. LSK lobes are terrible for street cars.

Go look at a SNS Stage 3 from Tick (235/243), the BTR Stage IV (235/242) from Brian Tooley, or something like an EPS 234/242. All will drive better and be less violent on your valvetrain.

I'd go EPS since it's ground on billet cores from Cam Motion and uses an endurance lobe profile that makes power but doesn't kill your valvetrain. You also get a cam doctor report that shows you exactly what you have.

Quick Reply: Tsunami or MS4?