Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine developed rattle/ticking noise, what could it be? Does it sound expensive? :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this pic of failed rocker - mine are nothing like that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...MG_3635_cw.jpg

Still, last time I tried to locate the sound with 2 different stethoscopes, sound appeared to come from driver side rocker cover.
Also now there is more than just ticking. There is also intermittent noise, sometimes like something is grinding not just tapping.
Maybe I have chain failing?
edit: I tried removing injectors connectors one by one, sound never changed, so I hope rod bearings are not spun?
Also I see a lot of knock and timing retard registered while just cruising, if that hints something...

Last edited by Vetal; 07-22-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've checked pushrods and rockers, they are not bent or anything.
Valve stems also are almost even without rockers, with only valve #2 being 0.004" lower than the rest, and #8 about .002-.003" lower.
I also drained oil (somehow my plug wasn't magnetic unfortunately) and cut open oil filter, it had couple of shavings but nothing to worry about.
I'm starting to think this rattling might be rod knock? Although using stethoscope I was confident rattling comes from driver side valve cover...
Can I check anything else?..
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a lifter take a **** and wipe out a lobe on the cam. Get a mag plug, if its that you will be making steel. Take a flashlight and look at the cam through the oil drains, especially for any loose rockers. Metal will smear beyond the edges of the cam lobes If a lifter has started eating it. Rotate the crank and look again. Also helps to pull the intake and valley cover...the noise when running sounds like a light scratching. The lifters will likely not pull out from the top if this is the case.

It sounded to my non expert ears to be the bottom on yours though. Got any blowby? Look at the plugs, leakdown, compression? How about the bellhousing inspection port and/or pull the starter? Maybe a broken flexplate? Maybe drop the belt to make sure its not an accessory?

Just throwing stuff out that you might have had other clues on. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
I had a lifter take a **** and wipe out a lobe on the cam. Get a mag plug, if its that you will be making steel. Take a flashlight and look at the cam through the oil drains, especially for any loose rockers. Metal will smear beyond the edges of the cam lobes If a lifter has started eating it. Rotate the crank and look again. Also helps to pull the intake and valley cover...the noise when running sounds like a light scratching. The lifters will likely not pull out from the top if this is the case.

It sounded to my non expert ears to be the bottom on yours though. Got any blowby? Look at the plugs, leakdown, compression? How about the bellhousing inspection port and/or pull the starter? Maybe a broken flexplate? Maybe drop the belt to make sure its not an accessory?

Just throwing stuff out that you might have had other clues on. Good luck.
So you can see the cam with valve covers off?
Thanks for ideas! Yes I'm going to remove acc belt when I put valvetrain back.
Will check TC/flexplate and bolts too, as well as compression test (will check plugs while doing this, but can't imagine what would I see on them).
But why drop the starter?

I guess I have to put everything back together and record sound it makes. Although I am almost sure now it is rod bearing
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

How can I check rod bearings without removing the engine?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've noticed that every other rocker bolt hole must be protruding into the ports since I could put 5" long ziptie in the hole. Should I put some silicone on rocker bolts thread to prevent oil leak in the intake port or boost pressurizing valve covers? Or will the bolt provide enough seal?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
How can I check rod bearings without removing the engine?
Drop oil pan.

For the rocker bolts, yes proper sealant required.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Pulling the starter gives a different view of the flexpate. . .but probably not a lot different
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I visually checked TC bolts, none appeared loose, but will check with the wrench also... Although I'm afraid it's spun bearing the more I work on it...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Are there any metal fragments/flakes in the oil??
Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheWolfMatt
Are there any metal fragments/flakes in the oil??
There were some, but very very minimal.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Assembled driver side valvetrain back and recorded some sound. Now sound changed again: instead of very pronounced knock there is "barking", especially in low revs. I can hear it best when I put stethoscope to middle upper valve cover bolt (driver side), that's 100%.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah man. One thing is for sure, you are going to be tearing into it. You could pull the valley cover or yank the cam and see if its hosed, but I think you need to be looking in that oil pan. Ive never heard a spun bearing, but thats what id imagine one sounds like. In any case I would definitely stop starting it and listening to it. I bet if you rotate it by hand you will hear it at this point.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned

yup definitely gotta open her up. hope that you have help as well. Good luck and keep us updated please. I haven't the slightest clue as to what could be wrong so i am not going to try and even say what it could be. I would like to know what ya find tho for future reference lol
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was hoping someone will find this sound familiar
I'm not sure this barking is from spun bearing because it's best heard in the middle of driver valve cover near center of the engine, WTF??
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 884 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by the404man
idk.
But he fixed lifter tick with a simple flush without removing the head .. hope it helps ya .. peace Chevy 5.3 liter lifter noise and motor flush solution How to - YouTube
Sometimes words are hard. LOL.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'll wait till someone experienced will hint what's that noise before start tearing apart poor engine
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

You don't have a bore scope by chance? That would make this that much easier in finding what it may or may not be. However, by the sounds of things, it's most likely a spun bearing.

My 2c.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have cheap 0.4" camera, what do you suggest to do?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, what else can rub like that, best heard on valve cover bolt towards center of the engine? Maybe camshaft bearing suddenly gone bad?

Quick Reply: Engine developed rattle/ticking noise, what could it be? Does it sound expensive? :(