Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Promblem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Gasket Promblem!

I just installed a set of heads and I used the Felpro Head gaskets and ARP head bolts. I made 4 passes at the track and the car started leaking coolant, it’s on the driver side rear, where the head and the block meet. Should I re-torque the heads or do I need to replace the head gasket. It just hardly leaks for normal driving!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Had the same problem, with the ARP's, and the felpros. Check for the post started by rapid, it may be a problem with the ARP's
Old 04-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02WSsicks
Had the same problem, with the ARP's, and the felpros. Check for the post started by rapid, it may be a problem with the ARP's
ARP Head Bolt Problems? page 4 of internals (Sorry don't know how to post link??)
Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The claim is the head bolts from arp are longer than stock and can bottom out and not seal correctly. The studs are no problem though.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

...makes a good argument to re-use the old TTY bolts; my GM dealer has done this without issues for many years. He says it is a waste to buy new bolts.

I bought new GM bolts anyway!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...makes a good argument to re-use the old TTY bolts; my GM dealer has done this without issues for many years. He says it is a waste to buy new bolts.

I bought new GM bolts anyway!
How many times can you spread incorrect info? TTY bolts are to NEVER be re-used after they have been stretched to their final torque spec!

If you believe in your mechanics word so much then why didn't you save $60 and re-use the old bolts? Practice what you preach.

For the others, NEVER EVER RE-USE THE STOCK TTY BOLTS AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN STRETCHED TO THEIR FINAL TORQUE READING!!!! IF YOU DO, YOU DESERVE TO HAVE PROBLEMS!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Head gaskets, bolts

Cannibal is absolutely correct about not reusing TTY hardware.

You should have been able to screw the ARP bolts into the block with your fingers. If they were tight when you installed them, that's one of the reasons you are having a problem - bolts are not torqued properly. I always run a thread reforming tool through the head bolt holes on used blocks to eliminate this problem.

Next, regardless of what FelPro says about not needing retorque, retorque the head after you run it. Take the car for a nice ride, let it cool down and then retorque the head bolts one at a time loosening each off and torquing to spec. Do this in the recommended sequence. This is especially important with Cometic MLS gaskets.

When you pull the heads to replace the gaskets, make sure the surfaces are clean and flat before reassembling with new gaskets.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development