Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've searched and nothing. Oil pressure problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a lot of work for no results unless you can afford to throw the new gaskets and everything at it..balancer and oil pickup bolt aren't very run lol...I didn't see but how many miles were on the engine? You could go redneck and run 50 weight oil for the time being...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by WI Tom
Well I have a little update for anyone following.

I put the car up on my dads lift and hooked up a matco oil gauge today. Basically the gauge inside the car, above 20 psi, is about 5-10 psi high, which I'm not sure is normal or not. Below 20 psi it is right on.

I started the car cold and had 36 psi on the mechanical and 43 inside. The longer it ran, the higher the coolant temp got(oil temp isn't working) and the lower oil pressure went. It pains me to say but I think anyone who said clearances is probably right as there seems to be a correlation between higher coolant temps and lower oil pressure.

Anyone still think I should still throw the oil pump in it and pray?
I'd try a thicker weight oil, like 20w-50 or something, and cut the filter open to check for bearing material. Just get the $20 oil and filter that's always on special just to see what it does for the pressure.

If it is a rebuilt engine and has loose clearances, a stock volume pump may not do much for you. A Melling 10296 would be better, or even the stock $80 AFM pumps. Either of which are high volume and will bring pressure up everywhere, hot and cold.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I'd try a thicker weight oil, like 20w-50 or something, and cut the filter open to check for bearing material. Just get the $20 oil and filter that's always on special just to see what it does for the pressure.

If it is a rebuilt engine and has loose clearances, a stock volume pump may not do much for you. A Melling 10296 would be better, or even the stock $80 AFM pumps. Either of which are high volume and will bring pressure up everywhere, hot and cold.
The pump I'm waiting on is the 10296. We swapped out the filter and didn't see any metal shavings. I'll cut it up the old one tomorrow.

I also went over by my dad's buddy's house who owns a shop and he looked up what the spec is for oil pressure on ALLDATA, and according to that I'm just fine. Apparently on there anything above 6 PSI at hot idle is fine.

I'm going to stick the pump in, and if the pressure isn't where I want after that I'm going to put thicker oil in and start saving up.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

keep us updated , im into same problem with my car
Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964_442
keep us updated , im into same problem with my car
Did this happen suddenly to you or over time?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Checking in for updates happened on my car exactly cold around 40 when it got hot around 20-35 psi it all started when I put on ls6 valley and PVC set up intake and headers. Did not see nothing wrong with because when I first got the car it read the oil that way. Then I put my castrol sync 10w 30 and oil was perfect 40 to 60. Then like I said I added the mods an it went back to 20-35...theeeeen I went for a tune obviously he has to hit wot right? well it had a ticking sound after the tune lol. Right now the car has a 6.0 with a huron t7875 kit waiting to go in so I haven't stripped the engine to see what it was.

But if it helps for some reason my car when I was adding the driver header had the oil filter lose at the moment it was bothering us so we took it off I should seen the huge oil stain around but was to excited about the header I just put right back now I'm thinking my filter was clogged
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically you only need 10psi of oil pressure for every 1000rpm even though I wouldn't feel right...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Technically you only need 10psi of oil pressure for every 1000rpm even though I wouldn't feel right...
All data says anything above 6 is normal at hot idle. I don't want it that low though.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

1st thing I would do is replace the oil and filter. Look at the oil carefully for signs of bearing trouble, sparkly looking oil or things in the oil. Drive it easy for a while before you do anything. It sure sounds like you have worn bearings but that doesn't mean it won't run for a very long time with proper maintenance.

I just a had big pita myself with engine noise and lower than normal oil pressure. My trouble was the lifters. The car has very low mileage but is 13 years old, from sitting crap built up in the oil and of course the lifters don't play well with that. Instead of having the lifters changed I drove the car and had the oil changed a few times. All the noise is gone and the funky oil pressure stopped.

Personally I'd be pissed someone dropped their problems on me but it happens. Its buyer beware. With these cars you need a very experienced LS1 person along to be sure you don't miss anything.

I know these cars very well and on the WS6 35k miles I just bought I missed the passenger door being badly damaged. Its cracked at the lower hinge and smashed in along the bottom. Now how I missed I really don't know, I thought I went over the car quite well before I bought it.

Another problem I ran into is the engine was quiet UNTIL I had the oil changed. Then all hell broke loose, It was OBVIOUS the car dealer put something in the engine oil to quiet it down! Looked like maybe a graphite product. Once it was changed out the engine sounded terrible!

Good Luck

Last edited by RockinWs6; 07-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Typically the oil pressure will get lower and lower each time the engine runs if the bearings are trashed. If it's consistently the same pressure, then your bearings are probably fine and its something else. There's plenty of variables that could cause low pressure. Start with verifying the low pressure with a good qulaity mechanical gauge.
First non-dumb response I read in this thread. I'm starting to worry about what some of yall are smoking around here. Bearing tolerance don't open up over a long drive, sorry. I honestly think its a faulty sending unit or failing oil pump relief. I've seen both and the pump relief definitely shows more when hot in my experience.

Edit: Just saw the update. I absolutely would try the oil pump first.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 07-11-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: I've searched and nothing. Oil pressure problem.