Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMP double roller and "clearanced" SLP oil pump making contact?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMP double roller and "clearanced" SLP oil pump making contact?

I'm using a COMP double roller on my LS1. I bought the SLP "clearance" oil pump that is supposed to clear the chain without using the shims. It states right in my SLP instructions that the shims aren't needed. I bolted the pump on and noticed very little clearance. I couldn't even get ANY feeler gauges between the pump and chain. Rotated the engine a couple revolutions by hand. I took the pump back off and found obvious marks where the chain is rubbing. Anyone else have this problem with this combo. I've tried calling SLP, but I keep getting a recording and nobody will call back. Looks like that whole Roush takeover had already had negative effects.

Frank
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Just to update. I've been on the phone with COMP and SLP about this. The SLP chain is .885" wide. My COMP is .920" wide. My SLP oil pump is at the machine shop having .035" milled off in the chain area.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you go to put the front cover on rub some grease on the front of the oil pump body, then without the gasket slide the front cover on and see if it sits flush with the front of the block.

If not, slide it back off and grind some off the cover where the grease off the pump stuck to it.

It might take a few trys but once it sits flush pull it back off, put the gasket in and bolt it on. This will give you plenty of clearance and let the front cover gasket seal
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I thought the SLP and Comp chain were the same?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I thought the SLP and Comp chain were the same?
Not according to either company. SLP uses either the Roll Master or Manley. My Fiancee is actually a distributor for SLP. She got me on the phone with one of their engineers.

Frank
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting.

I thought they both used JP Performance.

Either way, the markup on the SLP timing set is pretty absurd.

The SLP Oil Pump is a custom Melling IIRC.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Had .035" clearance milled off the pump. I confirmed with SLP that this was acceptable...As long as "I clean everything well upon reassembly". LOL...I own a transmission shop. We know how to clean stuff... Realistically, the only part of the chain that was hitting were the pins. It's hard to get a feeler gauge in there because of the step, but I've had a .020" gauge in after it was cut.

As a side note, some have asked if I made sure the crank gear was all the way on. I laid a straightedge across the chain at the crank sprocket and across the top of the chain. I have the same distance to the block face in both locations.

Frank

Quick Reply: COMP double roller and "clearanced" SLP oil pump making contact?