Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 used long block, what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 used long block, what to look for

I've done a4 to m6 swaps and every problem my cars have had I've been able to successfully fix. However the deepest I've gone in an engine is pulling my valley cover for knock sensor grommets and I've changed my pushrods. I just bought an 01 ls1 long block that came with an ls1 intake, perfect flywheel, cts v pan, and the stand for $400. It was taken from a camaro ss in 04 and the owner put in a cts ls6. I bought it from a guy who bought it from the original owner. He told me the guy got it replaced free under warranty and upgraded it because he worked at the dealership. He was told that oil was sent for testing and a small amount of antifreeze was detected. It was taken apart and loosely reassembled by the guy I got it from. I've looked it over inside and out. The cylinders still have the factory hatch marks and shine like a mirror. The valve train shows little to no signs of wear. The head gaskets don't look like they failed. No visible cracks between the cylinders. The plugs still have the blue ink triangles at the tip and look they have 10 miles on them. My question is, what do I check next? Have I done all I can? I bought the engine assuming it was no good. I wanted some parts and figured I could use the short block to educate myself without hurting my car. I know I need to check the bearings but have no idea what I'd be looking for. Please let me know what to check/look for and if there's nothing left who do I take it to for the best inspection? A mechanic, machine shop, or race shop? Thanks.

Last edited by ChevyJunk; 07-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there was coolant in the oil and they head gaskets don't look bad I would be disassembling the entire block and getting it sonic checked and magnafluxed just to be safe you don't wanna get everything up and running only to have to tear t down and do what you should have done to start with, but you got a KILLER deal so I wouldn't worry about the extra steps you have to take at a machine shop...
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention but to analyze the bearings you wanna go to the clevite 77 website they have a huge PDF file to help you tell what's going on with the bearings to make sure it was all working good..
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep you definitely need to magnaflux and check for cracks in the heads.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure where you are in south west florida, but I've used this guy for my machine shop needs. Knows his way around an LS motor. He's located in Riviera Beach (Palm Beach). About a 40 minute drive for me, but better then taking it to some hobo hack job.

http://totalengineconcepts.com/ Talk to Mike, hes a straight shooter.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Awesome. Thank you. I'll be downloading that pdf as soon as I get home. I'm in Naples and I think Palm beach is about 3 hours. That's not too bad a drive to me. I'll call there tomorrow and see what a magnaflux and sonic check cost. I don't even know what that means but I'll google it. I just got it and don't really have a plan for it yet. I just couldn't it pass it up. Worst case I learn from it and sell off parts if it's bad. The cts v pan has never been used and bolted on just as a cover. I hoping to get 150 for it after I find something to replace it. Thanks again. I'll update after I find out more. I've added a link (I think I did) to the bearing pdf. It is exactly what I needed. http://www.wilmink.nl/Clevite/Clevit..._tech_info.pdf

Last edited by ChevyJunk; 07-30-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add info

Quick Reply: ls1 used long block, what to look for