Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing intake to get to KS's... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing intake to get to KS's... HELP!

Hi folks, I need some help, suggestions, input trying to get to my knock sensors on my LS1 in my '02 Camaro SS. First, I tried searching, found a few helpful threads, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I've read the how to here - http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 - and am to the point where I have 9 of 10 of the 8mm bolts loosened up. I am having a rough time getting to the last one on the driver's side, big hands and zero space for them back there. I'm thinking there's got to be some snazzy tool that I just don't know about to make this possible. My 1/2" ratchet won't fit as there isn't enough room for it's head. I got it a little loosened with a plain ol' 8mm wrench till it slipped and fell somewhere behind the engine, but even then, i was getting like a 1/16 of a turn each try.

This brings me to another question though... how am I supposed to be able to torque this bolt when I put everything back together? Is there a tiny little torque wrench I should be buying and adding to my sad little set of tools?

Any help or input would be very appreciated. If you can't tell, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to opening the engine
Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 1/2" ratchet is way too large to work in those spaces, if you have a 3/8" drive, it would fit in the spaces much better. I also use my 1/4" drive in some occasions. Basically patience is the key here and when you've taken it on and off a few times you learn where and how to angle things to make it a quick operation. Another thing that I find helps me alot since I also am a larger than average guy is to remove the coilpacks from the valve covers as it allows me to stick my arms further in without wedging them in and getting cut all to hell. Several months ago I swapped from the stock bolts to some hex heads which seems to make things a little easier as well for me. Good luck in getting them off, you just have to stretch and contort in ways you never thought possible with these cars. Just wait until you have to pull the tranny, you'll love getting to those bolts, haha.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your talking about removing the Intake correct?

All the bolts are pretty easy to get to... Unless your unbolting something else?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

the passenger side rear bolt was harder for me than the driver side was but the last 2 on both sides are a pita in general. Yeah a 1/2 ratchet is way to big to work under that cowl, most use a 3/8 and a lot use a 1/4" set back there because its so confined. if your still having a problem I would recommend a 8mm gear wrench. some of mine were a pain to get to but using the gear-wrench at least sped up that 16th of a turn process. don't forget to get clothes pins or a duct tape of some sort to hold the last 4 bolts up because there is not enough height for them to come out. Also make sure the pcv lines are disconnected from the back of the intake and that the opsu doesn't have the brake booster vacumn line tied around it or you may break the sensor

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Just wait until you have to pull the tranny, you'll love getting to those bolts, haha.
luckily I haven't had to pull one out of these yet but if I had to I think I would just drop the entire subframe with the motor and disconnect all the wires. may take longer but its better than trying to fight bolts you cant even see.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28
luckily I haven't had to pull one out of these yet but if I had to I think I would just drop the entire subframe with the motor and disconnect all the wires. may take longer but its better than trying to fight bolts you cant even see.
Except these cars are unibody and no subframe. You could drop the K with the motor attached but that is sometimes overkill. Here is a shot of the extensions I put together for when I pulled my tranny a few weeks ago.

After you do it a couple times it becomes nothing.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Holy crap!! That's a monster of a MacGyver'd extension! LOL

And apologies for my typo, I definitely didn't mean to say 1/2", no way in hell could I fit a 1/2" driver in there. I meant to say my 1/4", I'm not even sure if I could get my 3/8" in there.

But what about the reassembly? Are there dainty little torque wrenches? I have a 3/8" drive in lbs torque, but I don't think I have much of a shot getting it in there... well plus my 8mm socket is a 1/4" drive so I gotta spend some $ somewhere to get what I need.

Burken01 - Yes sir, intake manifold. And if they're all easy to get to how about an all expenses paid trip to Cali? lol Really it's just that last one that I'm having trouble with, I wouldn't say the others were easy for me, but once I have to reach under pretty much the dashboard, it's been a PITA.

OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28 - I'll check into an 8mm gear wrench... anything to make this a little easier!

Thanks everyone for your input so far! I'm determined not to pay a mechanic as I know I can do this on my own.

Except these cars are unibody and no subframe. You could drop the K with the motor attached but that is sometimes overkill. Here is a shot of the extensions I put together for when I pulled my tranny a few weeks ago.

After you do it a couple times it becomes nothing.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dre211
Holy crap!! That's a monster of a MacGyver'd extension! LOL
Unfortunately it is also completely necessary for removing the tranny unless you are Mr Fantastic.

But what about the reassembly? Are there dainty little torque wrenches? I have a 3/8" drive in lbs torque, but I don't think I have much of a shot getting it in there... well plus my 8mm socket is a 1/4" drive so I gotta spend some $ somewhere to get what I need.
They make 1/4" click stop wrenches. You can pick them up from HFT for a few bucks. But I don't actually torque my intake. I just snug it down and call it a day. And if you have a HFT near you $10 for a set of metric gear wrenches is a huge investment.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. I just finished putting the intake manifold back on, runs like a champ, didn't break the oil pressure sending unit, no more KS codes or any for that matter! Took me a while cuz free time is hard to come by with two young kids!

Unfortunately it is also completely necessary for removing the tranny unless you are Mr Fantastic.

They make 1/4" click stop wrenches. You can pick them up from HFT for a few bucks. But I don't actually torque my intake. I just snug it down and call it a day. And if you have a HFT near you $10 for a set of metric gear wrenches is a huge investment.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. I just finished putting the intake manifold back on, runs like a champ, didn't break the oil pressure sending unit, no more KS codes or any for that matter! Took me a while cuz free time is hard to come by with two young kids!
No problem at all, glad you were able to get everything done and have it running well again!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's cool.

I bought a set of ratcheting box wrenches. For anything under the cowl, they work excellent.

Quick Reply: Removing intake to get to KS's... HELP!