Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Racing 6.0 LS Block

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't measure the bores accurately unless the torque plate is installed. The bore grows when the head/torque plate is installed.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8pwr
You can't measure the bores accurately unless the torque plate is installed. The bore grows when the head/torque plate is installed.
your joking...right?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I'm not joking. Is your response a joke? That is the purpose of the torque plate. If it didn't do anything why would blocks be honed with them?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking into getting this block and buying a forged rotating assembly for a build. So I'm very interested in future responses.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8pwr
No, I'm not joking. Is your response a joke? That is the purpose of the torque plate. If it didn't do anything why would blocks be honed with them?
so how much does a iron block bore grow when torque plated?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It distorts... Which is why it's hard to measure the bores without heads bolted down if they were bored using a torque plate.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bore distorts and is out of round.The torque plate simulates the force applied by torquing the bolts/studs just as they would be installed with the head on. Then the machine work has been done in a similar environment as the engine will be when assembled and running. The bore usually moves a couple thou. How much and where depends on a lot of factors. Most LS engines are not torque plate honed from the factory as this drives up thecost. There's an old video showing the LS7's assembly and there are many videos to show this.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Teching In

O.K. guys very good info...appreciate replies.

so if the summit block is finished honed smaller than the size needed for 30 over pistons and they say they used a torque plate...if I have a shop size the pistons to bore do they need to use a torque plate? Hard to find machine shops in upstate ny with good equipment.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, if you dont check the bore with a torque plate installed your engine is doomed. The rings will never seal and will use like a gallon of oil per tank of fuel. Trust me guys, I read it on the internet.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
With today's CNC machining processes on all the big players in the piston business, there's no reason to have the pistons in hand before honing the block. As long as you use good measuring equipment and cylinders are straight and round, piston manufacturers can hit any number you need. Cheaper to hone to a shelf size, though.

I am one of the old farts that can remember this being a MUST, though. The old TRW bricks we used to use on everything were sized and weighted all over the place.

Why would you "trust" Summit? I can call 4 times in a day and ask the same question to each tech and get a different answer every time. Find a builder you can TRUST and let him deal with it - that's why he's in the business.
I hear what your saying but they (Summit) wouldn't be in business if they sold bad products or didn't know what they are doing. Like one of the guys said get a unfinished block then hone it out to fit your piston...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Not only that but in the description it clearly stats the finished bore size. So obviously they used a certain piston then machined all the blocks to that specific piston.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

At one point in time the part number on the summit sight was ATK. Whether or not ATK supplies these blocks to Summit for re-sell is a question best asked to them. I can tell you this. I purchased a bare block directly from ATK. I did not need to have a machine shop bore the cylinders as they were already finished and perfect match up to my Diamond pistons. I don't have the numbers in front of me as I built the block earlier this year but the piston to wall clearance all feel within Dimaonds recommended specs. Engine runs great. No piston slap at all. I couldn't be happier to be honest.

If ATK doesn't provide the blocks to Summit then I can't speak in terms of the blocks Summit sells. But I can speak in regards to ATK themselves and I was very happy with the bare block I ordered from them.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam_arrow
this is what I got….here are my measurements with a .0005 dial bore gauge on the 4 drivers side cylinders…top, center, bottom readings…parallel and perpendicular to crank
Looks like my first take measurements were way off. Don't know if it was due to a cold room vs a hot one or tool calibration was off....but now getting readings around 4.0295 plus or minus .0005
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 AM
JAH

Do these blocks have the decked machined? What is the new deck height?

On other iron blocks, both 6.0 and 5.3 what are you finding, that is the amount machined that is needed to true the decks?

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAH
Do these blocks have the decked machined? What is the new deck height?

On other iron blocks, both 6.0 and 5.3 what are you finding, that is the amount machined that is needed to true the decks?

Thank you.
Main thing my machine shop said was they were not honed with a Trq Plate so when he checked it it was WAYY out of whack.... Basically making the block useless...... Complete waste of money for me... Ill never buy another.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Main thing my machine shop said was they were not honed with a Trq Plate so when he checked it it was WAYY out of whack.... Basically making the block useless...... Complete waste of money for me... Ill never buy another.
I think your machine shop is either misinformed or just full of s#!+.

Originally Posted by Summitracing
Our block is going to be machined using a deck plate system and the cylinders will be finish honed using the following equipment: Sunnen CK-21 or Sunnen CV-606 Ra spec max 30 after hone, max 25 after brushing. New Durabond Cam bearings and a new steel freeze plug are installed by our supplier.
I kind of doubt Summit is going to come in hear and try to tell lies the us knowing how experienced and informed some of the members here are. It also sounds like if you find something wrong with the block all you have to do is call Summit and they'll work with you to make it right.

Last edited by Fry_; 09-03-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fry_

I think your machine shop is either misinformed of just full of s#!+.

I kind of doubt Summit is going to come in hear and try to tell lies the us knowing how experienced and informed some of the members here are. It also sounds like if you find something wrong with the block all you have to do is call Summit and they'll work with you to make it right.
I agree! They wouldn't be in business very long if they didn't know what they are doing much less not to try and correct a problem
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My machine shop that has been building my record setting engines for 10+ years lied to me over a block? Yeah... sounds legit.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off... Summit isn't doing a damn thing to these blocks themselves.

I can confirm what Fran said. I had a 6.0 from summit bores were perfect without torque plates and slightly off with torque plates, other than that 300 gallons of cosmoline that it was sprayed with (so heavy I had to ball hone the bores).
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
JAH

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Did your machine shop check the deck height on the Summit block?

When your machine shop machines other iron LS blocks does the deck surface clean up with a minimum cut? Is your machine shop finding that the iron LS blocks require very little material removed? Is your machine shop finding that most of the used blocks are in very good condition, or are they finding a large number of blocks that are unusable for racing?

Quick Reply: Summit Racing 6.0 LS Block