Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valves hitting Pistons W/ T-ReX!!! Need help (probably my fault)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if you grind the push rods down some, if that might help? I am intalling the T-rex in a few weeks with stock ls1 heads (ported/ non milled), sounds like I need to buy some clay!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AustinL911
I didn't **** up the head or the pistons that much. It put a knick in the combustion chamber of #5 and also took a small gouge out of the piston. I've got a set of 5.3l heads sitting here also. Can I just swap the valves?

Also, I checked time and time again, and those dots are spot on. I can't figure out for the life of me why they're hitting. I'm gonna go ahead and fly cut the pistons and throw on some cometic gaskets, and new head bolts. That was a hell of a fuckup.

But it still bothers me why they hit.
You may have damaged the valve guides and seats, too. You need to degree the cam in to be sure on your next go around.

Originally Posted by chrdij
I am wondering if you grind the push rods down some, if that might help? I am intalling the T-rex in a few weeks with stock ls1 heads (ported/ non milled), sounds like I need to buy some clay!
I would not do that. The pushrods have a very nice round ball for the rocker to pivot on. Flatening that ball that the rocker will now rest on it is not a very good idea b/c it'll restrict the motion of the rocker on top of the pushrod.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrdij
Grind the pushrods?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinL911
I didn't **** up the head or the pistons that much. It put a knick in the combustion chamber of #5 and also took a small gouge out of the piston. I've got a set of 5.3l heads sitting here also. Can I just swap the valves?

Also, I checked time and time again, and those dots are spot on. I can't figure out for the life of me why they're hitting. I'm gonna go ahead and fly cut the pistons and throw on some cometic gaskets, and new head bolts. That was a hell of a fuckup.

But it still bothers me why they hit.

Well, flycutting the pistons may set you up nicely for a wicked Heads/Cam TRex package. So, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

The intake valves in the 5.3l heads are smaller so no. The exhaust should be the same size.

Blake
Old 04-30-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

just because the dots line up doesnt mean its degreed in... fyi
Old 04-30-2004, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
just because the dots line up doesnt mean its degreed in... fyi

I did not realize that. Thanks.

Also, it was the exhaust valve the broke. So that's a blessing that the valves are the same size.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Doesn't the trex cam say it hasn't been tested with stock pistons??
Old 04-30-2004, 09:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought it was initially put on with a stock rebuild shortblock with gomers old stock heads...so i technically think it has been put through the paces.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very sure nobody at my shop told anyone the Trex had to be run on notched pistons. We've even sold Patriot heads to guys with TRex camshafts & the only thing we differently is we set them up with stock size valves

Originally Posted by Kevin 276
...when I spoke to Texas Speed, they told me I would have to degree the cam and notch the pistons for that cam...look at the lift .609/614...did you clay it prior to installing just to see if it was going to touch or not? How deep is the indention on the piston? Did they advice you to go with a shorter push rod?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:04 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by Rice Eater 316
Doesn't the trex cam say it hasn't been tested with stock pistons??
The TReX V2 cam works fine with bone stock, unmodified heads. I have installed quite of a few of these with no troubles to speak of. For more info on the cam and its piston to valve clearance, take a look here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/139004-information-regarding-thunder-racing-t-rex-camshaft.html

Austin, did any of the intake valves hit?

Jason
Old 05-01-2004, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

so, ya'll are running this cam with stock cubes?? i thought it was just for strokers or something... i wanted to trade in my tr230 for this becuase my pistons are already flycut when i bought it...

i might just wait till after summer and wait to see what kind of bigger cams come out and how the t=rex runs at the track before i get it...
Old 05-01-2004, 03:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Local guy down here is running a TRex on stock ci, heads and pistons - no problem.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason99T/A
The TReX V2 cam works fine with bone stock, unmodified heads. I have installed quite of a few of these with no troubles to speak of. For more info on the cam and its piston to valve clearance, take a look here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139004

Austin, did any of the intake valves hit?

Jason

Hey man, I wasn't flaming I guess I misread the info of your website.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Austin...cheapest solution is to get some stock replacement valves for no cost. Every shop on this forum usually has piles of them laying around. Or you could get a set of take-off heads for $200-$250 for now, and send your heads out for a pro job when you have the money. This time around, get bill or adam over your way to assist with notching the pistons in the car using the isky tool.

As far as the "not degreed in with the dots lined up" remark. Kindly explain to me how to degree a cam in on an LS1 without an adjustable timing set (i.e. stock chain and gears)? I would like to know for future reference.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reckless
As far as the "not degreed in with the dots lined up" remark. Kindly explain to me how to degree a cam in on an LS1 without an adjustable timing set (i.e. stock chain and gears)? I would like to know for future reference.
I was wondering this also....????? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only timing correction you can do is from tooth to tooth, right?

And jason, I'm pretty sure the intake valves were hitting also.

^^^Still don't understand why it's hitting? I know it looks off in this pic, but I had the crank turned slightly when I took it.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Something has to be way off for the valves to be hitting that badly...I believe Jason said in another post that his car has about .070"I and .080"E clearance...and you've got negative clearance. You're absolutely sure the heads are stock? i.e. bought the car used?
Old 05-01-2004, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Something has to be way off for the valves to be hitting that badly...I believe Jason said in another post that his car has about .070"I and .080"E clearance...and you've got negative clearance. You're absolutely sure the heads are stock? i.e. bought the car used?
No, I'm not 100% sure they're stock, but I'm pretty sure. I bought the car with 10k miles on it, and it was owned by some old GM exec. There has been no porting work done to them, and the valves are the stockers. I can't think of a reason why they'd pull them off just to mill them a lil bit?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Any other suggestions why it did that?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My TSP 231/237 didn't clear either on stock heads. I had to retard the cam 2 degrees to get the clearance I needed. I aligned those stupid dots up 50 times and still no good. I even went back and forth one tooth just to make sure my eyes weren't crooked. But in the end I just retarded it for the extra clearance. I have been wondering the same thing as you for awhile now. Good luck with it!

Jeffrey

Quick Reply: Valves hitting Pistons W/ T-ReX!!! Need help (probably my fault)