Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who should spec my cam?
LilJohn
7.14%
Martin from Tick
92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Where to get a cam from?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where to get a cam from?

I've been tossing the idea around of piecing a turbo combo together out of some parts I have laying around. I've got some CNC'd TFS 235's, an aluminum 6.0 block and a super victor intake. A buddy of mine told me he would let me borrow his PT76 Billet Wheel, Ball Bearing turbo since his car will be down for a while due to some family business he has to take care of.

My question is that I have been seeing a lot of the results from a guy on another forum, think his username is LilJohn, and his setups seem to be making gobs of power for being relatively simple combos but I also see that Martin from Tick comes highly recommended as well.

My dilemma is that I haven't really seen anything from Martin's end in terms of forced induction and it's mainly been just simple stuff like bolt on cars with cams or maybe a budget stroker with a small shot.

What do you guys think? Haven't decided on a chassis yet but it will be something light and on a 26x8.50 Mickey Thompson.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This should get good!!...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bia bia lol
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I would start with Lingenfelter, ECS, or A&A. All those guys do is FI builds.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by White Shadow
My question is that I have been seeing a lot of the results from a guy on another forum, think his username is LilJohn, and his setups seem to be making gobs of power for being relatively simple combos
Has this guy actually built anything? All I ever see is him talking about builds and not actually building anything, I believe he even gets a good bit of his advice from Martin........IMO choose Martin or one of the other cam guys
Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deerslayinrednek
Has this guy actually built anything? All I ever see is him talking about builds and not actually building anything, I believe he even gets a good bit of his advice from Martin........IMO choose Martin or one of the other cam guys
Ive built plenty.. Thanks for your concern.

And as far as who got what from whom... you have it *** backwards.

As far as the turbo stuff goes... I shared a good bit of what i know with him prior to him landing his job at Tick. I dont do N/a or nitrous stuff. He did that on his own.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Both are good at what they do. As far as "building", what do you think Martin does at Tick? What does John do for a living? (I know what he does but that's not the point)

I am sure both know their way around a too box, but pretty sure neither turns wrenches for a living....just saying.

Again, both are good....but 1 has been doing it longer. There is plenty of info out there for you to make a decision. Go with your gut. Hell, both love talking on the phone so call both of them!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Brian Tooley has done a lot of FI builds, as has Ed Curtis. Don't limit yourself.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Me and John share a lot of data with one another. I feel it helps both of our causes as we learn from one another all the time.

That said, John took me under his wing years ago and showed me the ropes to cam timing.

I took it from there and have made myself into what you see now by testing my own camshafts, trying new ideas, new lobes, and anything you can think of to separate myself from others who have come before me. I couldn't of done it without John though.

I have my own theories that are very far from what John believes when it comes to a lot of things cam wise, but I believe that everyone does when it comes to camshafts and life in general.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Brian Tooley has done a lot of FI builds, as has Ed Curtis. Don't limit yourself.

Y'all gonna get in trouble there....