Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erlīs performance LS1 443

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Erlīs performance LS1 443

Hi, anybody running this motor ? I have cracked LS1 block that iīm want to resleve with 4.200" bore and put 4.000" stroke in it, plannig on 400 shots of nitrous.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mite be cheaper to buy a 6.0 block already built for your needs .a 6.0 block will handle more power safely the a cracked 5.7 block. shipping a block to them is how much ?your block mite note be repairable .check out Texas Speed also .
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Seth up, it's amazing what can be repaired. Shipping a block only cost me about $50 via UPS. You can get a container from the home improvement store. The SD blocks are better sleeved than stock blocks and will be less likely to crack a sleeve, and they're going to bore the existing cylinders out to build the new block anyway, so no harm there.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be better to get a gen 4 block to start with. I also don't think they will go 4.200 but 4.185 they will.

Tim
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they go 4.200 on the Ls1 blocks, Yes they are amazingly bad ***. Yes they are relatively expensive. You can buy a nice aftermarket block for less but i like the fact that when most people look at the motor they think oh its just an LS1. Your right it is just a lil ole LS1 with a no name painted black intake. Really pisses people off when they cant figure out whey their FI car isnt keeping up with a POS "stock with a hard miss LS1" car. 400 seems like a big shot for such an expensive block. I am gearing up to put a 200 shot on mine. Better give them pistons some extra room to expand with a 400 shot

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 08-10-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe this is the way to go:

http://texas-speed.com/p-416-tsp-427...ort-block.aspx

How much does it weight more then LS7 ?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't say it was substantially heavier. I don't see where that much added weight would've come from. The aluminum truss is not that heavy, and the sleeves are maybe a few ounces heavier. I don't see their work adding more than a few pounds if any. After I got my back, it was just as easy to handle as the block I sent them.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry misread your question. The LSX block is ~120 +/- pounds heavier than an aluminum block. It's also costlier to assemble because there are a lot of specific parts that you must buy to complete it. ARE, Petersen and Daily all make well engineered dry sump systems that would address the oiling in track use that work with the production block. Priority main oiling is not all that important unless you address the oil delivery system, so I don't see where the LSX block is necessarily better. I'd probably consider the RHS block too if you're looking aftermarket. I suppose if you were making 2000 HP, the Bowtie block would make sense.

My .01975 cents.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody may make a 4.200" bore? But why would you spend the $$$ to build one when there's no room for an overbore (either junk if damaged or big $$$ for new sleeves) and you have barely a hair more than 3/16" between cylinders for both headgasket fire rings?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, maybe thinking of this is just bullshit ! The more i read, the more confused i get ! I very confused wich motor to pick that will handle 400+ nitrous. 4.000" cranck is the maximum, so i have been looking at GMPP LSX 427 shortblock, LS7 shortblock or 434 shortblock from ERL !
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ERL block uses modular sleeves made from ductile iron. If you were to crack on it is easier to replace. I think RHS uses modular sleeves also, but I've never strongly looked at that block simply because it added a level of complexity I didn't feel like taking on. The only drawback that Al would have is the head bolts are held in Al threads. I have never heard of anyone pulling 6 bolt threads do this is really a non issue.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If he is in Iceland shipping a block will not be $50, plus as mentioned it might be junk. Surely someone can sell you a motor that fits your needs. Might even be cheaper, and certainly faster.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

...and some change.

The mobile version doesn't give all that nice detail. That being said, he's still going to pay of he gets it from the US. Shipping is still goin to be quite a bit cheaper for an Al block. Buy a core here, and have them ship it back.
Originally Posted by chuckd71
If he is in Iceland shipping a block will not be $50, plus as mentioned it might be junk. Surely someone can sell you a motor that fits your needs. Might even be cheaper, and certainly faster.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cmac06
...and some change.

The mobile version doesn't give all that nice detail. That being said, he's still going to pay of he gets it from the US. Shipping is still goin to be quite a bit cheaper for an Al block. Buy a core here, and have them ship it back.
I will put up our Superdeck 1 block up against anyone's block for a big nitrous setup. No other aftermarket block comes with ductile iron sleeve. The LSX and the RHS both have cast iron sleeves.
Our ERL ductile iron sleeves are much stronger and and the sleeves are longer as well. Our doweled billet main caps come standard with ARP main studs and we do have the following options as well:
- 1/2 head stud kit = 600.00 ( includes the machining)
- partial fill below the water jacket = 600.00

We have all different options and packages and we are extremely competitive on pricing compared to others and our parts are better than other competitors packages. Compare apples to apples and what you will find is that it comes down to weight. You are going to spend the same
Amount of money either way but with the LSX block you are going to be about 140 lbs heavier on the nose of the car. It's not going to be any stronger than our ERL Superdeck 1 block and our sleeves are longer too which has more stability for the pistons as well.
Whether you just get one of our sleeved Superdeck 1 "6 bolt" blocks and have your engine builder build you something or you Get one of our short block packages, it will be stronger and lighter in the long run.
Our Superdeck 1 has been out a lot longer than the LSX and has been proven time and time and time again.
Please let us know what we can do for you. We have entry of sleeves SD1 "6 bolt" blocks on the shelf as we speak.

Quick Reply: Erlīs performance LS1 443