Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a cam too much for a 4l60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a cam too much for a 4l60?

so i posted this in the transmission section but nothing yet....

so i have the mods in my sig the next thing i want is a 233/239 then later heads and 92mm intake.... will it the stock 4l60e handle a cam with the converter and shift kit?

thanks for the help in advance
Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Teching In

the 4l60 should be good, my car has a cam and bolt ons, making 384 to the wheels and the trans is holding up just fine (knock on wood)

only problem i have is it doesnt want to shift into fourth, but im like 99% sure thats the shift points we set it at when i had it tuned, and im going back to have them brought down a bit, and see if that helps it. when it DOES shift, it shifts and runs fine in 4th, which is why i believe its a programming issue in mine.

i WILL say get a nice fat trans cooler if you dont already have one. heat is the biggest enemy of the 4l60, more so than power from what ive seem. at least consider "normal" builds, nothing extreme lol

edit: forgot to mention i still have the stock converter in mine for the time being, so i cant comment on that from first hand experience, but i still think it will be fine, just get the cooler like i mentioned
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the mods in my sig and my forward sprag went in my trans the same time as the 10 bolt exploded...but it had 82k miles and plenty of drag passes...I think the only reason it went is because the rearend went at the same time...4l60e is a pretty tough trans
Old 08-17-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My stock trans never had one issue. Sold it to a buddy and he is still running it.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Depends on the miles and health of the transmission. My son did a cam, fast intake and 3600 converter swap. He had it dyno tuned and his transmission started slipping a short time after. Don't be surprised if it begins to slip after the mods. It's clearly a crap shoot and luck of the draw.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on miles, maintenance, and amount of abuse the transmission has taken. Every transmission will eventually fail theoretically, they're filled with clutches and items designed to wear.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Depends on miles, maintenance, and amount of abuse the transmission has taken. Every transmission will eventually fail theoretically, they're filled with clutches and items designed to wear.
ive done a bunch of research myself, and i agree ^. the 4l60e is known to be a ticking time bomb after 100k miles, its inevitable. ive heard power wise, theyre good to about 400 whp, if that gives u an idea of what mods u can have and it keep up, and a shift kit, big stall will only tear it up even faster. i have an 04 gto a4, and im just gonna wait on doing a big cam and heads after suck it up and pay the $ for a built tranny, talk to local shops or shop online, u can buy a stageXXX trans and decent stall for reasonable prices, and try n sell ur stock trans for a couple hundred while its still good.

Quick Reply: is a cam too much for a 4l60?