Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 98 Z28 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 98 Z28 build

Time start a build thread been researching all sorts of stuff. Want to be around 400-450 rwhp It's not to much I still want to dd my car after all this is done. Not trying to go to far into the motor just intake,head,cam for now and various other things like exhaust,exterior, interior. I will try and keep this up to date as I will most likely have some questions to ask also. So far here is the plan

Engine:
1. Ls6 or possible 92mm Fast intake
Purchased ls6 intake
2. 243 heads machined valve job still reading up on cylinder heads
Bought a set a of nice used complete 243 heads
3. Custom grind cam still deciding on specs
4. Motor mounts still reading on them

Tranny:
1. Maybe a 3200-3600 stall since its A4 from Yank been reading alot about them very recommended i seen
Buddy of mine is going to make a custom stall for me
2. Tranny cooler to accompany the Stall still reading on them

Suspension:
1. Lowering springs thinking about Strano
Purchased a set of Strano lowering springs
2. Read koni are the best shocks but very pricey. So, gotta settle for bilsteins which I read are better with stock springs or KYB AGX adjustable which are a good choice for the price
Ordered a set of Koni STr.T shocks
3. UMI pan hard Bar double adjustable( you will read why in a bit)
Purchased UMI on car adj panhard bar poly w/ roto joint, UMI rear lca relocation brackets

Interior:
1. Stock Camaro radio with Aux input just a preference not big music guy
2. Update the speakers not sure what kind to go with
So far been reading into the kee audio package

Exterior:
1. Repaint the car
2. Retint rear window and ds window
3 Torq thrust M wrapped in Nitto 555 275/40/17 and 315/35/17 (where the panhard bar comes in play)
Purchased 17x9 & 17x10.5 and a set of 315/35/17 nitto 555
4. VFN Sunoco hood
Buying this hood maybe last before paint
5 Depo Headlights
purchased depo headlights

Any input on the information i stated above or opinions would be great. Mods sorry if i posted in wrong section still kinda new to the forum.

Last edited by QuicksterZ; 11-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got an LS6 swapped '98 and I'm putting down 385 RWHP right now. I've got a new Fast 92mm along with Nick William 92mm TB sitting in the garage and I'm hoping to be right at 400 RWHP once 92mm stuff is installed...but I'm thinking I might be just a little shy of the 400 mark...However, the car has NO issues at all as a DD, and as a matter of fact, I've already done several of the mods you mentioned. Click on the link in my sig to take a look if you'd like.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
I've got an LS6 swapped '98 and I'm putting down 385 RWHP right now. I've got a new Fast 92mm along with Nick William 92mm TB sitting in the garage and I'm hoping to be right at 400 RWHP once 92mm stuff is installed...but I'm thinking I might be just a little shy of the 400 mark...However, the car has NO issues at all as a DD, and as a matter of fact, I've already done several of the mods you mentioned. Click on the link in my sig to take a look if you'd like.
Thats not to bad i thought putting a ls6 would get you above 400rwhp, but i guess it depends on other things. So im assuming you have the 243 heads? Did you have to get centerbolt valve covers and coil brackets? Thanks for the input
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

OP, since you asked, I will have my answers in bold.

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
Time start a build thread been researching all sorts of stuff. Want to be around 400-450 rwhp It's not to much I still want to dd my car after all this is done. Not trying to go to far into the motor just intake,head,cam for now and various other things like exhaust,exterior, interior. I will try and keep this up to date as I will most likely have some questions to ask also. So far here is the plan

Engine:
1. Ls6 or possible 92mm Fast intake.
LS6 will work fine for what you want.

2. 243 heads machined valve job still reading up on cylinder heads.
Not sure of your budget, but a set of 5.3 heads or just having your stock heads worked will get you to 400+rwhp. Just another ave. to consider.

3. Custom grind cam still deciding on specs.

4. Motor mounts still reading on them.
You're doing all of the above at once, I would do them during the heads/cam swap. It will be easier on whoever is doing the work.

Tranny:
1. Maybe a 3200-3600 stall since its A4 from Yank been reading alot about them very recommended i seen
2. Tranny cooler to accompany the Stall still reading on them

Suspension:
1. Lowering springs thinking about Strano
That would be a great choice, assuming you're not drag racing the car.

2. Read koni are the best shocks but very pricey. So, gotta settle for bilsteins which I read are better with stock springs or KYB AGX adjustable which are a good choice for the price
Again, assuming not drag racing the car. Koni, than Bilstein. I wouldn't waste your time on agx unless this is a TOTAL budget build. (but I would still do the bilsteins)

3. UMI panhard Bar double adjustable( you will read why in a bit)
Need it if you lower the car anyways. I have the rod/rod bar, love it and would recommend it.

Interior:
1. Stock Camaro radio with Aux input just a preference not big music guy
2. Update the speakers not sure what kind to go with
Your door speakers are 2ohm, so any co-axial speaker in the 2ohm range that are around 25-50 watts rms (continuous power) will work great.
The speakers by the rear seat are your subs. They are also 2 ohm and only produce bass (50-100 watts rms).
The rear speakers are 4 ohm (25-50 watts rms).
I used Infinity reference up front, kicker 6.5" subs in the middle and pioneer 4" in the very rear. I still have the factory stereo and amp and couldn't be happier.

You can also look at the speaker/audio section of this site for all the information you can possibly want.

Exterior:
1. Repaint the car
2. Retint rear window and ds window
3 Torq thrust M wrapped in Nitto 555 275/40/17 and 315/35/17 (where the panhard bar comes in play)
4. VFN Sunoco hood
5 Depo Headlights

Any input on the information i stated above or opinions would be great. Mods sorry if i posted in wrong section still kinda new to the forum.
That is what I can help out with. Good luck and keep us posted on your build.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks darkblue. Also I just bought a ls6 intake from a member on here should arrive by the end of this week will post pics when it arrives. So far so good on the build
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Making some progress the ls6 intake just arrived yesterday so i will check that off the list. Im going with Founders Performance rear lca, rear lca relocation brackets, and the panhard bar since what im researching they are good for the money and quality
Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to keep an eye on your build, sounds like fun! I'm picking up another Z28 tomorrow or Friday
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also use 799 heads.check out a TSP torquer v2 cam ,should make 400+ rwhp.get a ls2 timing chain.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can also use 799 heads.check out a TSP torquer v2 cam ,should make 400+ rwhp.get a ls2 timing chain.
Yea i been reading about the 799 heads that are basically the same as the 243 heads. Im just waiting for the right deal on heads had seen a deal eariler last week but just missed it. What is so special about the ls2 timing chain?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Teching In

I finished up a cam swap not to long ago, that ls2 timing chain is a bit thicker than the ls1, also herd those ls1 timing chains break easily with a decent cam. As far as the cam i chose the tv2. Def upgrade that stock oil pump to a ls6 ported or melling!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KbZ28
I finished up a cam swap not to long ago, that ls2 timing chain is a bit thicker than the ls1, also herd those ls1 timing chains break easily with a decent cam. As far as the cam i chose the tv2. Def upgrade that stock oil pump to a ls6 ported or melling!

So ls2 timing chain is the way to go? Yea might as well get a ls6 oil pump since im going to be in there whats special about the ls6 oil pump. Im still reading on Camshafts i know the heads,intake,exhuast all have a factor and a affect on the cam to how it will run/breath.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ls6 intake with a moderate size cam and ported 243s and im at 417hp/390tq use the ls6 intake you will be fine
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nicky98T/a
I have the ls6 intake with a moderate size cam and ported 243s and im at 417hp/390tq use the ls6 intake you will be fine
Of course I'm still going to use the ls6 intake. Sounds like a cam and heads takes you a long way
Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 AM

I just bought a ls6 intake from a member on here should arrive by the end of this week will post pics when it arrives.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

I will try and post pics of mine also
Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
Thats not to bad i thought putting a ls6 would get you above 400rwhp, but i guess it depends on other things. So im assuming you have the 243 heads? Did you have to get centerbolt valve covers and coil brackets? Thanks for the input
I actually bought a crate LS6, so it came with the centerbolt valve covers. I did have to buy the coil brackets to attach my coils from my '98. 385 RWHP is actually decent for a bone stock LS6 with bolt-ons only and shorty headers. Doing the math with 15% drivetrain loss puts me around 450 at the crank...the thing is rated 405 HP at the crank from GM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Yea im in the market for some 243 heads just need to find a deal found a while back but missed out on it. Also looking for some center bolt valve covers and brackets of course. I think i would be content with high 300s rwhp
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually bought a crate LS6, so it came with the centerbolt valve covers. I did have to buy the coil brackets to attach my coils from my '98. 385 RWHP is actually decent for a bone stock LS6 with bolt-ons only and shorty headers. Doing the math with 15% drivetrain loss puts me around 450 at the crank...the thing is rated 405 HP at the crank from GM.
I checked out your site. You should go with long tube headers and just have cats afterwards. It should still stay emissions legal for visual.

OP it appears you're making sound decisions. Motor mounts should be a for certain though. Since it's a DD I would get polys. Keep doing research and updating the thread.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by newchevyman
I checked out your site. You should go with long tube headers and just have cats afterwards. It should still stay emissions legal for visual.
My '98 has one of these rare PCM's that doesn't like LT headers. I tried a set on my original LS1 and never could get the front 02 sensor issues solved and I always had an SES light. I tried everything from the stock 02's with extensions, to going with the Bosch 13111 02's from the C5 that had the longer pigtails and nothing would get rid of the SES and it never did run well. When I did the LS6 swap, I decided to just go with a set of shorty headers, even though I knew I was leaving HP on the table, but it is much more enjoyable to drive. No SES light, runs better, and I did have an off road Y pipe, so I had the fuel smell, and I'm glad that's gone now that I've got cats. I don't have emissions tesing in my area, so that was never really a big concern...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

My '98 has one of these rare PCM's that doesn't like LT headers. I tried a set on my original LS1 and never could get the front 02 sensor issues solved and I always had an SES light. I tried everything from the stock 02's with extensions, to going with the Bosch 13111 02's from the C5 that had the longer pigtails and nothing would get rid of the SES and it never did run well. When I did the LS6 swap, I decided to just go with a set of shorty headers, even though I knew I was leaving HP on the table, but it is much more enjoyable to drive. No SES light, runs better, and I did have an off road Y pipe, so I had the fuel smell, and I'm glad that's gone now that I've got cats. I don't have emissions tesing in my area, so that was never really a big concern...
You need a better tuner.

Quick Reply: My 98 Z28 build