Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression Issues

Hi, I'm new to the board and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've got a 03 Silverado with a 6.0L It was running rough and I did a compression test on it to find 2 dead cylinders, one on each bank. I took a valve cover off and everything looked fine. I changed the valve springs on the dead cylinder but it didn't help. Took the head off and pulled the lifters. Took them apart and everything looks good. Pistons are all fine. I put it back together and still the same thing. I then tried loosening the rocker bolts and then just tightened them finger tight. Tried it again and got 170lbs. I'm puzzled. Seems like a valve is getting held open but how? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Lifters are stuck holding the valves open. Replace um or clean them properly. Doesn't take much dirt in one to cause them to do this. Also check the preload incase someone changed push rods. should be less than .100 thous

Last edited by RockinWs6; 08-23-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Lifters are stuck holding the valves open. Replace um or clean them properly. Doesn't take much dirt in one to cause them to do this. Also check the preload incase someone changed push rods. should be less than .100 thous
Are the lifters in these motors a common problem? I'm use to old school small blocks and never came across this. Where does the oil go after entering the lifter? Could something be blocked and not letting the oil out?

Quick Reply: Compression Issues