Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another head gasket removal thread!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Another head gasket removal thread!

Alright guys I've tried everything to get all the old head gasket off. I have a 98 Ws6 so it had the original gaskets on there. I used the plastic scraper to get the big chunks but they wore out the edge really quickly. I've used the permatex gasket remover, goo gone, and brake cleaner but there are a few spots I cant get off. I used a razor blade very gently to get some of it and I've been scrubbing for hours with blue scotch brite pads. The plastic ones that don't have any aluminum oxide to get in the motor. I even put one of the blue scotch brite pads on a vibrating hand sander and it still won't come off. What else can I try? 2000 grit sandpaper? The spots that don't want to come off are right under the pistons.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a electric drill with a attachment for sandpaper. we use them at work all the time. it uses discs of sandpaper that screw onto the attachment. its called a mandrel. something like this.
2" Roloc Disc Pad Holder - 1/4" Shank - Amazon.com 2" Roloc Disc Pad Holder - 1/4" Shank - Amazon.com
that's what I use

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another head gasket removal thread!