Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different heads will not increase piston to valve clearance. There is a fly cutting tool that can be done with pistons in, but I would go with a smaller cam. Thats almost as big as whats in my 422ci. If you reuse the cam putty a piston and check the clearance with the old gasket on and torqued.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Yeah but tomorrow will be the day that either makes it turn out good or bad. But I'm still trying to find out what set of s2 heads I can use with that cam with out having to touch the pistons or if I need to fly-cut them because of the marks left by the valves then what s2 heads I could use after that.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Stroked- As far as putty to check the PtoV how would I go about doing that? And what should I be looking for? BTW Thanks for the input on what I should do next.
Brandon
Old 05-04-2004, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The different heads have different chamber volumes, but they will all have the same valve height (assuming same valve sizes). The only way to pick up p/v clearance is to use thicker gaskets (not recommended), or fly cut the pistons. You should not use any head that has been milled with that cam. To check the clearance go to a target or something similar and pick up some silly puddy. Put some on the piston were the valve would make contact, and dab some motor oil on top so the putty doesnt stick to the valve. Install the head with the old bolts torqued with the old gasket. Install the rocker arms and pushrods for just that cylinder and then rotate the assembly with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. Remove the head and measure the puddy roughly with a mic guage. That will tell you what the p to v is. Abosolue had some new 6.0 heads for 1,500 but it souded like they were milled. Call them up. Stage 2 heads have bigger valves and will create a bigger p to v clearance issue. Good luck with it.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Launching!

My next question is it possible that the only reason the valves hit the pistons is because I didn't use a degree wheel for the install? Here's the link to the spec's of the cam 237/242 .595/.595 112
http://www.lunaticams.com/Camshafts/ChevyLS1.html it's the second one up from the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out why I had P-V problems when the T-rex is working with stock heads. Like I stated in here some time we installed it just dot-to-dot so is that where we messed up and caused the PtoV?
Thanks again
Old 05-04-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet00
My next question is it possible that the only reason the valves hit the pistons is because I didn't use a degree wheel for the install? Here's the link to the spec's of the cam 237/242 .595/.595 112
http://www.lunaticams.com/Camshafts/ChevyLS1.html it's the second one up from the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out why I had P-V problems when the T-rex is working with stock heads. Like I stated in here some time we installed it just dot-to-dot so is that where we messed up and caused the PtoV?
Thanks again
The specs say major engine modifications required!

That should tell you that you need to check clearance. Any time you install a cam with over 230 duration and close to 600 lift you should check valve to piston clearance.

Also if the gears were one tooth off on the advanced side you put the intake valve closer to the piston. If you are off on the retard side you put the exhaust valve closer to th piston.

If I were you I would get a smaller cam or tear the engine down and flycut the pistons!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys or gals. I'm taking my heads to a local head guy to have them checked out then I will go from there. I'm not up to speed on how to fly-cut so I will be seaching for that info and someone local that can do it or if it's cheaper then I will buy a smaller cam. Sorry if I made anyone mad or upset with any of this it wasn't my intentions. But thanks for all the help everyone.
Brandon
Old 05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, whoever helped you put that cam in should be smacked around a little bit!!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

that cam is to big! replace it with a cam with no more duration than 230 degrees of duration,.595 lift on a 112 lobe sep. this will work with heads that have not been milled more than a clean up cut. a smaller cam well work better with stock flowing heads anyway.
ps. you can gain some valve clearance by retarding the cam, but usually 4 degrees is as much as you would want to go ,and that is not enough to cure your problems sorry about your dilema good luck.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I'm looking into fly-cutting or going with a diff. cam I'm on the phone talking with some people now. The heads are having a valve job and being ported/polished hopefully they will be done monday or tuesday next week.