Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a "How to " on Cleaning my Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a "How to " on Cleaning my Engine

Hi everyone. So this will be my first time on Cleaning my engine, and I'm just needing some tips on pointers, as to what cleaner to use, how many times it usually takes for the cleaner to work ( does it need to sit on there for 10 min. before you rinse it off )? Another thing is.... what are the main componets to cover, as to not let any water get down in them ? Thanks for the help. This is definitely one thing I do Not want to screw up on - Mike
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this engine in the car or on a stand ?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is in the car the main thing is to keep moisture or cleaners out of the intake.

if it is on a stand or partially taken apart then any opening should be sealed off.

If it is outside of the car then i like to use brake parts cleaner especially when I know I am going to touch up the paint. it is pretty agressive and evaporates away.

Inside I usually just wipe it down with a rag unless there is more than just minor problems to clean, I know some people that will hose them off with something like simplegreen to remove the grease and dirt. I think this would be ok as long as you don't use a real high pressure wash that could shoot into seals etc.

Good luck

Quick Reply: a "How to " on Cleaning my Engine