Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil passing by rocker bolts threads symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil passing by rocker bolts threads symptoms

Just got done with a HCI swap on my Camaro now I'm puffing oil smoke at idle,,, not really drive it much too see how much oil it was burning but it is burning oil. Tuner said could be valve seals, yet my heads were preassembled by professional shop and they said they swapped the seals so I'm thinking the oil may be running down the intake rocker bolts and getting burned. The heads are ported and I did seal the threads but I used black RTV I have ordered some ARP thread sealer to see if that will help. If the oil is running down the intake bolts is it bad enough to see at idle like mine?? If it was valve seals wouldn't it do it worse at start up and clear out after it burns out of the cylinders. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

black rvt on the intake rocker arm bolt on ported heads will seal the threads fine. The bolt is not your problem. sounds like you have valve seal issues to me. Even professionals mess up every now and then. Also no you don't always get blue smoke at start up with messed up valve seals. Are you sure the shop that assembled the heads check all the clearances? did they check retainer to seal clearance. What heads do you have? If they are some junk and i do mean JUNK pro comp heads then you very well might have seal to retainer contact. Did i mention that pro comp heads are junk. I wouldn't use them as a door stopper non the less on a motor.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
black rvt on the intake rocker arm bolt on ported heads will seal the threads fine. The bolt is not your problem. sounds like you have valve seal issues to me. Even professionals mess up every now and then. Also no you don't always get blue smoke at start up with messed up valve seals. Are you sure the shop that assembled the heads check all the clearances? did they check retainer to seal clearance. What heads do you have? If they are some junk and i do mean JUNK pro comp heads then you very well might have seal to retainer contact. Did i mention that pro comp heads are junk. I wouldn't use them as a door stopper non the less on a motor.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd bet the valve guides are beyond fucked and so they threw new seals on
them and decided to make them someone else's problem.....sorry to hear
this but 8 out of 10 people will take the path of least resistence...laziness !!

Quick Reply: Oil passing by rocker bolts threads symptoms