Old 09-28-2013, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427zm
Well, I would agree Mast could do what Ed can do, but that's not the point I was making. The point was if a highly respected and experienced LS man such as Ed or Mast think this is a valid Head for good power, and believe there is a market for it, there has to be a reason. Generally people that are interested in making money like to make products that customers will buy in order that they can make money.

I agree with Dr. Whigham here, if we can see some solid results from LS3 small bores and the pricing can be reasonable, there maybe a move away from the cathedral group think. Don't get me wrong I am currently running cathedrals, and they make good power, but there is a reason the new LT engine family is running square ports.

I truly feel the reason shops like to push cathedral heads is because they KNOW what the results will be. Since most shops aren't sure of the results of small bore LS3's they won't push them b/c of what a customer may expect. Also, they aren't sure of what cam would be good with the small bores since there is so little experience with them out there. ED is'nt scare here, and I look forward to your combo setup Dr!
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the new 5.3 uses the square port heads because of cost and it has VCT to help with torque down low <3k rpm, which may not be a concern when comparing a peak dyno number or in a drag car that is only concerned about the power up high 4500+...just my 2cents, looking forward to the new results though.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave, this place is like a herd of sheep. Where one goes, all follow. Everyone always says and does the same thing, like a herd of sheep. A lot of people questioned the AI Dart/RHS CNC'd heads I'm running now, but I love them and they make great power throughout the RPM range. To this day, I'm still the only one running them. I applaud you for being the wolf in this pack of sheep. If Ed endorses them and says they will make great power, then who cares what these Internet experts say.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Dave, this place is like a herd of sheep. Where one goes, all follow. Everyone always says and does the same thing, like a herd of sheep. A lot of people questioned the AI Dart/RHS CNC'd heads I'm running now, but I love them and they make great power throughout the RPM range. To this day, I'm still the only one running them. I applaud you for being the wolf in this pack of sheep. If Ed endorses them and says they will make great power, then who cares what these Internet experts say.
Hmmm.....

Rushhour over at LS1GTO was running a set of my hand ported Dart heads on his LS1. (and now on his stroker) He sure proved running against the "herd' works well, if you know how to do it.

/carry on

Old 09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the new 5.3 uses the square port heads because of cost and it has VCT to help with torque down low <3k rpm, which may not be a concern when comparing a peak dyno number or in a drag car that is only concerned about the power up high 4500+...just my 2cents, looking forward to the new results though.
355/383 from a factory truck motor is pretty good power. I think there is probably something to the chamber efficiently of the new LT heads as well. Being that emissions and DI play a role, it may be that the cathedral and rectangular port just weren't efficient enough for future emissions standards.

Cam phasing can help both ways. There's a shop (roughly 30 miles from you) that designed a VCT cam for an LS3, that puts down 495 in a stalled auto and spins to 7500. They port quite a few LS3/7 heads as well.

^^^ I agree. Speaking of, Phoenix, did you ever get yours to the dyno?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was familiar with that and his results. Show me anyone besides me running the Advanced Induction Dart/RHS heads. My point is people are afraid to try new things. Sometimes doing so yields great results.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I gotta find someone who supercharged their LS3 so I can grab their intake/rail/injectors...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I ve gotten several off ebay, with fuel rail, injectors and intake for around $300-$350. Just have to be patient. They cycle through pretty often. $350 is my limit. Especially if shipping is usually $15-$20 .
Agreed... 350's my limit as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Have you ran or used any square port combinations personally with your car(s)?
Nope. And I wouldn't either.

Too much is made on this site of overpriced heads that don't offer **** over more budget friendly options.

You make power by optimizing your combo and paying attention to detail. The $1k more you'd pay for heads to get 5HP you could make by spending 4 hours setting up your valvetrain properly.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I guess I'm a bit surprised by some of the action in here. Since when does outside the box thinking, or tinkering, been frowned upon?

Sure, there are proven "time and time again" combos out there, but I just want to try something different.
It's not really out of the box thinking. LS3 heads have been around since 08. I'm not pissing on your idea. Just pointing out that I considered this for about 1 second before I said no.

If you want to pick up over the AFR 205s you have, the hand ported TFS 220s from Tooley or TFS 215s would be my choice. Even then, you aren't going to gain a whole heck of a lot.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think if Dave does go this route, he's going to surprise quite a few people. You've got my support.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
It's not really out of the box thinking. LS3 heads have been around since 08. I'm not pissing on your idea. Just pointing out that I considered this for about 1 second before I said no.

If you want to pick up over the AFR 205s you have, the hand ported TFS 220s from Tooley or TFS 215s would be my choice. Even then, you aren't going to gain a whole heck of a lot.
I think some misinterpreted your statement earlier.

I think if Dave does go this route, he's going to surprise quite a few people. You've got my support.
Yep. Put it together, document it, and let us know. I'm sure a ground swell will ensue.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

It's going to be a while (few months maybe) before I get this going. I've got to source the intake/rails/injectors first. Get the associated pigtails for injectors... Then I'll call Ed and pull the trigger.

Very well may pull the short block and up the cubes before then. I replaced the O2 sensors last week and they were soot black. Either the ARP thread sealant on the rocker arm bolts have **** the bed, or the rings are on their way out. A compression and leakdown test is in order when I get in off the rig.

In the meantime, anyone with experience with these heads, please feel free to chime in with any info.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

What about the MAST 215s? Aren't they just the redesigned ETP 215s? Those heads are beastly...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On my small bore setup, I got my intake/rails/injectors for $350. I also paid BER to have the intake ported. They were one of the only companies to show an actual dyno gain.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...s3-intake.html
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
If by surprising you mean, "wow look at all that money he spent to make the same power as a budget 5.3 head combo", then I agree.

Perhaps there is a VERY good reason why they aren't popular

The same money will get you TFS or AFR heads, and anyone would be a fool to pass those up over a ported LS3.
Meh not really, depends which small bores you go with. BSP makes an as cast, factory version for only $1300 for the pair. It was a great budget option for me and my car should dip into the high 11's at 120+ on street tires once the optimized cam goes in. I liked the setup because I am going boost anyway, but I wanted something cheap to tide me over until funds are available.

You save a good chuck of change with the ls3 intake and injectors over having to buy a fast and bigger ls1 style injectors. If your car comes with an ls6 intake, then it's basically free and you are just out $1300 for the heads, $100 for the offset rockers/peds, and another $200 or so for whatever throttle body you decide to go with. Thats $1500-$1600 for 50-60 rwhp, which is exactly what I gained on only a 224/230 cam and not even headers (I run LS7 manifolds). I did put in a bigger stick, but that experiment failed as the car got slower, which is why I had Ed Curtis spec me my new cam.

The BSP setup is a great street/budget setup. I still say max effort cathedral N/A is better on a 347, but I haven't seen what these MASTS can do. They give you back quite a bit of compression, which is going to help a lot.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I guess I'm a bit surprised by some of the action in here. Since when does outside the box thinking, or tinkering, been frowned upon?

Sure, there are proven "time and time again" combos out there, but I just want to try something different.
Exactly, I just wanted to try it. I do my own tuning and installs, so I like the tinkering part better than the actual result. A couple trips to the track and I am already bored out of my mind lol.

If no one tried anything, we wouldn't have the information out there that we do today.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dave, if you opt to up the cubes, how big are you thinking of going?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Dave, if you opt to up the cubes, how big are you thinking of going?
395. I think Brian Nutter has some new pistons out that really help with the side loading as well as wrist pin location.

Hell, there was a guy here that ran one over 5 years w/o issue. Why not? If it ***** the bed, I'll go ERL 454 with whatever topend Ed recommends.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

New cam in, 219/231 .62x .62x 111+3, degreed in @ .5 btdc @ .050". Specs were 1.5 btdc, close enough, so I didn't install the hex adjust.

It pulls MUCH better than before. I is happy.

Last edited by mchicia1; 10-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Figured I'd update this.

I gained 2 mph at the track with the new cam in the same conditions as before. Trapped 120.

Headers are going in, so I will see how much better they are than manifolds soon.

Quick Reply: Mast LS3 Small Bore Heads