Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump help

I've been reading alot lately about the 98 oil pumps taking a **** on people and they replace them with the ls6 unit. I was wondering, how regular is this problem with the 98 oil pumps? Right now my oil pressure seems strong, at idle its above 40 psi (around 42-44), i dont remember what it goes up to at WOT though. Im just wondering what are usual signs when the oil pump starts to go out. Just trying to learn as much as i can about any possible problems I might run into and this is a new one for me.
Thanks
Travis
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people change them out as a precaution if they are doing a cam swap, timing chain swap, etc. If your's is good, I wouldn't worry about it until you are ready to do some other work in there, unless you just like yanking apart the front of the motor.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Speaking of oil pump, i was driving my vette around and the stock motor is in there right now while my other motor is being built and last week the PSI was at 80+ at 30mph! WTF? Needless to say the car went right home with hazards on and creeping at 20mph afraid that i could potentially damage my motor. Is this the pump finally going on its last leg? I will not be driving it anymore until i have my new motor put in but I would like to be able to sell the motor in it right now when I do the swap. what do you guys think the problem is?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

too much pressure is ususally not an issue. The pressure guages in our cars are very inaccurate; I suspect the guage is giving a false high reading at 80PSI...

...as you know, the miles per hour does not impact oil pressure; it is a function of RPM

My pump crapped out while the car was under warranty; the dealer hit the timing chain cover and crank areas with a plastic mallet. It "unstuck" the oil pump spring. He told me if it happens again to run the car until it freezes up - GM will replace the motor...!!!

After the car warranty ended I replaced the oil pump, timing chain, heads, cam, etc. A real PITA but if you are doing other related engine work DEFINATELY change the pump.... the 0-ring installation on the pick-up tube is critical

This problem and the piston slap issues are serious issues that should have required GM to recall all the GEN 3 motors.... this is why the resale value on GM cars blows...