Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The cam on my 383 is very close to the first one and this is my setup . My car is full trim plus rollbar and all. Has not been guded. Car had gone 10.58@ 126 MPH

HKE 383 11.5:1 CR
Ported 243's
Ported fast 90
Th-350
Neal chance stall 4800
4.30's

Here is a video of it in action

Old 10-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley

However if you're spending good money on a Fast intake and aftermarket heads, then I would cam the engine for excellent overall power. There is so much misinformation and ignorance available online that it's completely overwhelming to the buyer.
that's because you have internet" experts"that don't really know anything,but want to come off as some guru.then when asked to show proof of their claims,you get nothing.
Thanks for contributing to the thread(and Martin).you guys are 2 of only a handful of people on this board who are qualified to give advise on cams,the lesson and advise is very appreciated.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
that's because you have internet" experts"that don't really know anything,but want to come off as some guru.then when asked to show proof of their claims,you get nothing.
Thanks for contributing to the thread(and Martin).you guys are 2 of only a handful of people on this board who are qualified to give advise on cams,the lesson and advise is very appreciated.
Thank you. The OP contacted me the other day and we spoke at length. I could tell he was confused with all the information available online about camshafts. He has had 2-3 of his friends receive camshafts from me and all are extremely satisfied.

That said, even with that information and feedback he was still weary and wanted to make sure he spent his money wisely. Which is why I'm sure he made this thread. I don't blame him at all.

I'm sure Brian feels the same as I do that we are able to grind some of the best cams in the LS industry with the knowledge that we have. This comes from testing, lots of data and customer feed back including doing things on your own. I know I plan to test many cams in my new turbo engine in my radial car.

When it comes down to it, if you have seen great results from a certain cam grinder, including your own friends, trust them and leave the decision in their hands. That said, provide your cam grinder with as much information as possible so he can make a calculated decision on what camshaft is best for your application.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Thank you. The OP contacted me the other day and we spoke at length. I could tell he was confused with all the information available online about camshafts. He has had 2-3 of his friends receive camshafts from me and all are extremely satisfied.

That said, even with that information and feedback he was still weary and wanted to make sure he spent his money wisely. Which is why I'm sure he made this thread. I don't blame him at all.

I'm sure Brian feels the same as I do that we are able to grind some of the best cams in the LS industry with the knowledge that we have. This comes from testing, lots of data and customer feed back including doing things on your own. I know I plan to test many cams in my new turbo engine in my radial car.

When it comes down to it, if you have seen great results from a certain cam grinder, including your own friends, trust them and leave the decision in their hands. That said, provide your cam grinder with as much information as possible so he can make a calculated decision on what camshaft is best for your application.
Martin, you are indeed correct, we spoke last week about my future camshaft purchase. During our conversation I was very confused and still am somewhat. However after reading your and Brian's response it has cleared it up a bit. And it is very difficult to make that final decision with all of the information out there. As you said above when I spend the money for it I want to make sure that I get everything correct. I like to do as much research as possible before I make my final decisions, my buddies tell me that I sometimes over analyze things. That's probably what it has taken me 2 1/2 years to get to this point in my build.

Thank You and Brian very much for your useful insite, it now has allowed me to narrow down the choice.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

I understand 100%. I'm glad you made this thread so you can understand more as to the workings of valve events.

Even with the information in front of you it can still be very confusing.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me by email or phone.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
As the title above states, I need some opinions on the ( 3 ) cam's below. I'll start by giving you some info on my car first.

Car is a 2001 SS that I am currently building a Iron Block 408. Compression is upwards of 11.5 to one.

Intake- Will either be one of the following Fast 90 with a NW 90 ( I already have this one, trying to sell it though ) or a Ported Fast 102 matched to my new heads.

Heads- are CNC ported TFS 235's with a little work done to them.
All forged bottom end, so it should hold up.

Trans- is a 4160E, with a Yank 3600,rear gear will be 3:73.

Exhaust- Will be TSP 1 7/8" SS with a 3" ORY connected to a Magnaflow Catback.

My car is not a daily driver so driving it everyday is not an issue. With that said I am looking for a good all around street car, that will make great power, be valve train freindly, and fun to drive. I have heard that the 408 will have good torque. This car will not be a weekend drag strip warrior, however I may take it to the strip every now and then, and or compete in a little local street racing. Not planning on any juice, ( at the moment ).

I have spoken with ( 3 ) guys and below are their recomendation's concerning camshafts. I was wanting to see what the Tech community thought about them good and or bad. I was told that the higher duration would deliver more all out power numbers but suffer some low end torque, and the lower duration would deliver more all out torque but suffer some power numbers.

1. 243/250 .624"/.615" 112+5 Recomended by a Tech sponser ( no names mentioned ) dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

2. 239/250 .621"/.595" 113+2 Recomended by a Tech sponser ( no names mentioned ) dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

3. 232/238 .625"/.625" 113+4 or 113+4 Recomended by the guy that is completing my short block assembly. dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

4. 235/242 Lift .620/.610 113.0 +2 Lsr on the intake, and a Lxl on the exhaust, Already Have this one new in the box. but was told that this lobe design is a little on the ragged edge. Pros/Cons

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as it is getting time for me to pull the trigger on the new cam, as the shortblock is almost ready for assembly.
What is the max rpm you want HP?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
There is so much misinformation and ignorance available online that it's completely overwhelming to the buyer.
Hey - when I said that the powers to be banned me!

Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

You live in the Ghetto in Houston. You drive an old school car on 20 inch rims.

You are no cam grinder, you are no engine builder.

I hope they ban you soon.

Don't edit your post now either. Don't flatter yourself and try to make yourself look better by saying I've stolen stuff from you because you have nothing to steal from!

Show me 5 cams you have designed. Track results, dyno sheets and customers who can come on this board and give a review of your camshafts.

I will never post on this board again and cancel my account if you do so.

I'm also 25.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Show me 5 cams. Results, dyno sheets, reviews from customers given from their own mouths.

I will never post on this board again and cancel my account.

Funny how you flame me and call me a kid, when you don't even know how old I am, yet you ignore me asking you for proof that you've ever even ground one camshaft let alone five.

My point is proven.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Same to you. You would want me banned, then the truth wouldn't be told. LOL

I have done nothing but give an opinion, I did not even know those were your cams.

You called my name, I don't even think about, nothing to worry about. LOL
Just so it can be shown one more time what a phoney you are.

I've learned to ignore every other troll on this forum, but something about you, you just **** me off, and I'm going to be a bit brash I has have not been in a while as I've learned not to play into these games. None the less here we go.

I've kindly asked you to prove me wrong, didn't call you names, didn't personally insult you in any way.

I asked you to show proof that I am wrong.

Yet you cannot even do this.

Instead, you divert to name calling, degradation, and calling me a kid.

Let alone you stoop so far as the last ditch attempt to save some kind of face, you say that I've stolen YOUR work?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

That's the best one I've heard in a long, long time.

Tell me Bozz Hawg(since you hide behind a screen name while I post with my full name shown) what did I steal from you?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

lol.hey,you are still around here!
I have a question for you on a cam i got from you awhile back.ill dig up the grind # and shoot you a PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
What is the max rpm you want HP?
Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

Dang, we got almost all of the cam guru's in here!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did a Cam years ago on a 408, 11.8-1, TFS 235 heads, ported Fast 90. Through a 6 speed and 3.42 gears it made 545hp/510 tq at the wheels. Peak hp at 6200rpm. Car drove awesome with a ton of torque.
Cam- 232/238 112+2.

Been trying tons of Cams through the years and I always fall back to the smaller Cams for power across the curve. Valve events can put you in the ball park but without testing there is no perfect answer. I've run cams that should not work going by valve events but they end up working very well.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone needs to do one of these for the LS camshafts!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What makes guys like Martin and Brian authorities is that they clearly explain why they do what they do, and they back it up with results to boot. The Internet is about information, so it should come as no surprise that people who can explain themselves are popular.

Bozz hawg, you can thump your chest all you like. You may be good, but it seems you can't prove it.

Martin, he ain't worth it. Glad this has resulted in some great knowledge drops, at least.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Answer this for me Martin. You admited before that you did not have any experience with LS3 or L92 or square port heads.

If you never owned LS3 or L92 heads, how and why were you specing cams for a head you never had any experience with? So you were interms, just guessing at the expense of someone else.

I have been daily driving them for about 4 years now and have tried several combinations with my car, customers cars, etc..... Lets look at the 821 verification in my photo.

This is important because I always talk about guys who talk about parts but never owned them or used them.

You never owned a square port head Ls3,L92 or LS7 so how could you recommend a camshaft to a customer that you never used? Unless you parrot or copy someone elses information?

Can you answer that for me please? No name calling.

I don't talk about or reccomend parts I have never used. Maybe you should do the same.
Ask Tooley, Straub, or Curtis if they've owned a square port motor.

Does that mean they aren't qualified?

Your problem is your mentality. This isn't a ring, this isn't a battle, this isn't an argument.

I asked you to prove me wrong. You cannot deny the results I get whether on a dyno our on a track.

You have berated me for over a year. Calling me names and taunting me.

Did you miss where I said the car I posted the results from ran the same et he did on 100 less jet with my cam?

I asked you kindly and you resorted to name calling.

I respect you grinding your own camshafts, but enough with the smoke and mirrors regarding privacy.

You don't even have to give me specs, just 5 reviewers of their own accord on their own accounts acknowledging you grind their cams and that the "theory" behind your cams disputes what I've said to be true.

I also asked you to share what I've ever stolen from you because all your theory is polar opposite from mine. How is that so if I stole your work?

I would appreciate a civil response.

This thread is about cathedral port cams yet you've gone off talking about square ports as always.

I own a 370 with lsa heads btw.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

There is no use continuing this thread with me posting in it.

I didn't ask for you to post. I asked for 5 customer reviews along with your analysis as to why a later Evo is beneficial.

Not to post pictures of your cams in your daily driver you took today.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

My results and customers speak for themselves.

That is all.

Quick Reply: Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )