Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I need to apologize to the OP for turning his thread into a circus.

I apologize bama.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Fascinating thread. Lots of good info. Too bad about the troll. When you get this kind of quality discussion, you hate to see the distraction.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 895 Likes on 637 Posts

Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a happy Tick Performance customer and Martin has the best customer service from any business I've dealt with. I know exactly where I'll get my cams from in the future and I'd gladly spend my money with Martin. People like seeing dyno results, quarter mile passes, and all the info Martin provides. I think its awesome having a vendor that is willing to spend the amount of time Martin does on the boards sharing his knowlege and helping people with their setups.

+1 for Martin! Keep up the good work bud!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn, I went to work today, and it got extremely hot in here.

I'am sorry if I started a war, that was not my intentions what so ever. I only wanted to gather som facts so that I could make a logical decision on my purchase.

It appears that Martin and Bosshawg have some difference in opinions, and that It goes back a ways.

Life is way too short for all of this.

Thanks for everyone whom has contributed your opinions and data!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll go back to YellowBullet for a little less drama....

Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis
I think I'll go back to YellowBullet for a little less drama....

? Is there a different Yellow Bullet that I don't know about?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you simply take away the heat you can take out a positive from all this. The freedom to have a differing opinion helps spark these type of debates that bring out the insight of many different people.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Did a Cam years ago on a 408, 11.8-1, TFS 235 heads, ported Fast 90. Through a 6 speed and 3.42 gears it made 545hp/510 tq at the wheels. Peak hp at 6200rpm. Car drove awesome with a ton of torque.
Cam- 232/238 112+2.
You can not argue with results like that.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good ******* lord, is bozzhawg annoying. FYI, I just had EDC spec me a custom cam for my ls3 headed 347 and yes it was a wide split.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This is why we don't have nice things.

For once, we FINALLY have the best of the best posting in a thread, and it turns into an absolute ****-show.

It's enough that these guys worry about stepping on each other's toes and competing for business, so very rarely do you get them all to chime in on one thread.

This could have been a great conversation, and some real KNOWLEDGE shared. Even "them" posting, talking amongst themselves is a gem to even be able to read and learn from.

Why can't we just talk "shop" and all learn something. Isn't that what this entire SITE is even about?

I'm absolutely disappointed.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's unfair to blame everyone for one person's actions. With all due respect, some more active modding could have kept this on track.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

There isn't modding like there used to be here. LS1Tech is not as big as it was or as prominent. One reason is the car community has shrunk since it's an 11 year old platform. But outside of Yellow Bullet, there isn't another site on the net that provides more tech knowledge on the LSx platform.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
This is why we don't have nice things.

For once, we FINALLY have the best of the best posting in a thread, and it turns into an absolute ****-show.

It's enough that these guys worry about stepping on each other's toes and competing for business, so very rarely do you get them all to chime in on one thread.

This could have been a great conversation, and some real KNOWLEDGE shared. Even "them" posting, talking amongst themselves is a gem to even be able to read and learn from.

Why can't we just talk "shop" and all learn something. Isn't that what this entire SITE is even about?

I'm absolutely disappointed.
Well said. I don't get why people have to come on the internet to have a dick measuring contest, especially when no one cares anyway! Like wtf are you getting out of that?

This was a great thread as we got some good detailed responses from the heavy hitters. FYI, for what it's worth, I did contact Tick before I got my EDC cam and the cams they specced for me were almost identical. That says something right there. They know their **** and I had no idea Martin was only 25 prior to bozz pointing that out. Based on how they carry themselves here, I would have thought the ages were reversed.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Well,in my opinion,it went to hell when Bozz started name calling or whaterever.i didn't think Martin was out of line,just wanting Bozz to back up his claims.instead of going off like a child, Bozz could have given reasons or results to back up his claims,or debated like an adult.instead it turned into a mess.i don't know Martin or Bozz,i don't have a dog in this fight.i don't know enough about camming engines to offer an opinion.but i will say this:the only info Bozz has shown is pics of cam cards or cam boxes with specs.so what,i have 2 or 3 cam cards laying around,doesn't mean i know squat about engine theory.
Bozz,im not trying to be a dick,but why not tone it down a bit and give some reasons for your theories?if you call somebody out,you should have something to back it up.or are you just doing what you accused Martin of and dont have any real knowledge?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Teching In

this is what bozzhawg is talking about, martin is an internet expert point blank.
if you read this you will see that this clown cant understand why his car wont go faster with more nitrous and is asking for help for his CAM!!!! 1 year later he is the most praised custom cam guru on the internet...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=490293
Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by nitrousking
this is what bozzhawg is talking about, martin is an internet expert point blank.
if you read this you will see that this clown cant understand why his car wont go faster with more nitrous and is asking for help for his CAM!!!! 1 year later he is the most praised custom cam guru on the internet...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=490293
So, if I read you right, you are saying he is no cam expert because he was asking for others opinion on his camshaft and combination?

I am not sure that is a solid argument. We all struggle with certain things in racing. Even our own combos. And most everyone I know (especially the smart ones) get other racers opinions when they do struggle.

He started that thread because his car would not hit the numbers that others guys with similar combos were hitting. His cam was what he suspected, so he asked others their opinion. I just don't think it was all that unusual or damning.

I have been an expert at quite a few things during my life. And the day that I knew everything and no longer needed new information never happened. The day that everything I touched turned to gold without exception never happened either.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
So, if I read you right, you are saying he is no cam expert because he was asking for others opinion on his camshaft and combination?

I am not sure that is a solid argument. We all struggle with certain things in racing. Even our own combos. And most everyone I know (especially the smart ones) get other racers opinions when they do struggle.

He started that thread because his car would not hit the numbers that others guys with similar combos were hitting. His cam was what he suspected, so he asked others their opinion. I just don't think it was all that unusual or damning.

I have been an expert at quite a few things during my life. And the day that I knew everything and no longer needed new information never happened. The day that everything I touched turned to gold without exception never happened either.
My rebuttal is when have you ever seen another custom cam grinder go on the internet go on the internet and ask why his car is a nugget and if his cam is the problem??? Please post up example of mark at bullet, don Bailey, cammotion, compcams, Steve petty doing the same thing...go ahead ill wait....and btw the way his combo is far from one of exotic custom build...point is he has no experience and in 6 months he went from. Barely in the 9s to giving a cam specs on people spraying 500 hp worth of spray and 1500 hp turbo builds...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by nitrousking
My rebuttal is when have you ever seen another custom cam grinder go on the internet go on the internet and ask why his car is a nugget and if his cam is the problem??? Please post up example of mark at bullet, don Bailey, cammotion, compcams, Steve petty doing the same thing...go ahead ill wait....and btw the way his combo is far from one of exotic custom build...point is he has no experience and in 6 months he went from. Barely in the 9s to giving a cam specs on people spraying 500 hp worth of spray and 1500 hp turbo builds...
Do you know how most of these guys spec a cam? Do you know what the process is that most of them use? Do you know why many of use found what Tooley shared on here so exciting?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Results speak for themselves.

I seem to attract all the nut jobs.

I'm glad two people on the internet are so infatuated with me that they must follow me around trying to discredit me.

They will never admit it, but it's jealousy plain and simple.

I don't beat my chest and claim to be the smartest guy around, but I am pretty damned smart. I will ask for help when I feel it's needed because I'm not too proud to have someone smarter than me tell me where I'm wrong like some will.

You don't have to be an expert for 20 years to be good at something.

Ever see a kid go from High School to the NBA? Ever see a teenager around 15-16 years old go to college to be a neurosurgeon?

I have.

Quick Reply: Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )