Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to replace both CATS - california smog, I live in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan L
So, there is absolutely no difference between cali and other 49 state vehicles except a sticker under the hood?
I'm from ca to and stay in Houston now I went to long tubes and took out the egr system and don't have any codes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houston. Also great price, could I find a shop that would install used cats?
It shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure. If you find out something and want to purchase them, just pm me here..
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CA sticker means the car was built with the extra restrictive 50-state cats. You can take those off and put on a 49 state cat with no effect on the car other than an increase in power.

I live in CA with a 49 state car and had no problem with the sniffer test.... lol
Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
The CA sticker means the car was built with the extra restrictive 50-state cats. You can take those off and put on a 49 state cat with no effect on the car other than an increase in power.

I live in CA with a 49 state car and had no problem with the sniffer test.... lol
really?

I should pull the sticker, then try another shop, and proceed like originally planned, putting in some universal cats, and expect no problems???
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Who said you need the cats?? Just weld in some straight pipes and call it a day. Should only cost you a bit more than $100 in change at a good exhaust shop out there.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

really?

I should pull the sticker, then try another shop, and proceed like originally planned, putting in some universal cats, and expect no problems???
Pulling the sticker might get you into more trouble. I think under federal law you must have a sticker there that either says "federal emissions regulations certified" or "california emissions regulations certified." If you have neither, there might be an issue... obviously in the real world it makes zero difference but in the world of little regulations it's huge. I would say slap some universal cats on and go to a different shop, but if they give you **** about the CA sticker too, head to a junkyard and find yourself a 49 state car and take its federal sticker.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Teching In

WOW 0.o this is crazy!!! This is my 4th f-car and NEVER had so much problems regarding this!!

Am I alone?? Has anyone else been through this?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know TX emissions laws but you could always just get rid of the cats???? Doesn't TX have some of the least regulated emissions in the country?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the exception of a few major metropolitan areas, (D/FW, Austin ect.) Texas only require a visual inspection and no emissions related DTCs present to pass inspection.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Remnant-of-VII
With the exception of a few major metropolitan areas, (D/FW, Austin ect.) Texas only require a visual inspection and no emissions related DTCs present to pass inspection.
I live close to Houston. Not in Harris County, but in Galveston County. I would classify Houston as a major metro area.

Does anyone know someone in the area who would be willing to NOT look at my ^&*$@#$ California Emissions sticker, and weld up some decent cats? I keep getting the same question, why am I just not getting straight thru pipes and what not.. I want to pass smog... and be legit. BUT not have to pay the $%^&*@# California Tax to do it...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Why do I have to pay out the nose just to repair my exhaust on my Texas Registered WS6?? If I do NOT have to pay through the nose, why do I have to break the rules, or jump thru hoops? I have a bad inspection sticker, and I just paid this motherf_cker off... damn man...
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Have someone tune it and then you will be fine. They can take care of the codes and you will pass inspection.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even know why this is even a debate. Bottom line, his car was manufactured to be California compliant. Believe it or not, it's true. I had a 2010 Dodge Ram that had a sticker that said it was NOT California emission compliant! The technician at the Texas repair shop is right. By law, he needs to install the "correct" cats. I had someone at work who had to replace their cats here in California because of the same part # problem. The old ones sniffed cleaner too, but the law is the law.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Install some headers and have Frost tune the PCM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you correct the P1416 code that was mentioned before?

Russ Kemp
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

the vehicle must inspected as per the laws the said vehicle is registered in. for example you live in houston and the vehicle is registered in harris county the vehicle must pass the emissions and safety portion but non smog regulated counties such as waller county only need a safety sticker. now if you just get a non catted y pipe and get the car tuned and go to get your emission/safety inspection done you should pass as long as the computer doesnt have any codes and the readiness monitors are all set you should pass.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't even know why this is even a debate. Bottom line, his car was manufactured to be California compliant. Believe it or not, it's true.
It may be true, but as others have said...regardless of where it was manufactured to be compliant to, right now as it stands it only has to adhere to the regulations of the state it is registered in.

Each state has it's own regulations, and in order to pass inspection and get a sticker in that state you need to pass those. Not some other state's.

Where in a legal document does it state that a TX registered car has to adhere to CA regulations and SMOG because it was once built for and registered in CA?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Wow...
Took the car to a shop today, and spent 450.00 in labor. Purchased a great set of used cats from a forum member, he even delivered them to me, brought a techII, BS'ed with me for a few hours, and his girlfriend was patient the whole time!!

I tried myself with 3 cans of PB blaster, over the course of 3 days.. I said **** it, and had a shop do it.. 4 broken studs laster, and $$$, the new cats are on, AIR tube has been removed and cleaned and replaced, DTC's cleared, now I am driving looking for readiness..

Hoping to get that sticker tomorrow.. and get that Magnaflow Cat -back welded up, all in time for my drive in to work Friday..
Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
It may be true, but as others have said...regardless of where it was manufactured to be compliant to, right now as it stands it only has to adhere to the regulations of the state it is registered in.

Each state has it's own regulations, and in order to pass inspection and get a sticker in that state you need to pass those. Not some other state's.

Where in a legal document does it state that a TX registered car has to adhere to CA regulations and SMOG because it was once built for and registered in CA?
This is 100 percent true. I know of a few people that live in new York, have some pretty decently modded vehicles and keep them registered here in Ohio to avoid the inspection.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow...
Took the car to a shop today, and spent 450.00 in labor. Purchased a great set of used cats from a forum member, he even delivered them to me, brought a techII, BS'ed with me for a few hours, and his girlfriend was patient the whole time!!

I tried myself with 3 cans of PB blaster, over the course of 3 days.. I said **** it, and had a shop do it.. 4 broken studs laster, and $$$, the new cats are on, AIR tube has been removed and cleaned and replaced, DTC's cleared, now I am driving looking for readiness..

Hoping to get that sticker tomorrow.. and get that Magnaflow Cat -back welded up, all in time for my drive in to work Friday..
$450 in labor...? Did the shop take 4 hours to replace a pair of cats on your F-car...?
( with the cats removed those broken studs are easy to extract/retread/replace )

The MagnaFlow catback does not require any welding, it bolts in.

Quick Reply: I need to replace both CATS - california smog, I live in Texas