Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For A New Shortblock...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013 | 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rich92RS
Looks like im gonna have a hard time selling the old shortblock, nobody seems to want it lol

Been shopping around for a new cam. I emailed BTR and he suggested his stg III231/242 .617"/.588" 112+2. Waiting on a response back from Tick.
Is the block salvageable?

Last edited by bhobbs; 10-28-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would not sealing the rocker bolts really kill an engine though? How long did it last after the hci?
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:17 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Yep. Gotta put sealer on the rocker arm bolts.

KCS, what sealer do you recommend? I have both Permatex Blue (couldn't find Loctite around here for some reason and Permatex **** is runny) and Permatex sealant. I believe GM recommends Blue Loctite?
Sorry, just saw this. I like ARP's thread sealer. It's mean for holes like SBC head bolts that go into water, so its pretty good stuff. Not too runny either, same consistency as pipe dope.
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Cool. I'll have to look at what I have. I'm about to put my heads back on and need to seal them up. I was going to Blue Loctite it, but eh.
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:24 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Cool. I'll have to look at what I have. I'm about to put my heads back on and need to seal them up. I was going to Blue Loctite it, but eh.
I would think Loctite would seal too, but I don't think I've ever used it on the rocker arm bolts. It's either thread sealer or ARP lube.
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

jake is that thing running lol.
Old 10-28-2013 | 09:33 PM
On The Tree

DO NOT USE THE DOWEL PINS WITH MONSTER CLUTCH!!!

Monster f*cking pissed me off. I follow their instructions to a tee, and not more than 300 miles later one of the pins came out, and the other broke in half.. After a train of emails and a few phone calls, they say they dont recommended using the pins, and that they dont use them..

Moral of the story, they are contradicting their instructions, and dont use the alignment pins.

Old 10-28-2013 | 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pferris

Monster f*cking pissed me off. I follow their instructions to a tee, and not more than 300 miles later one of the pins came out, and the other broke in half.. After a train of emails and a few phone calls, they say they dont recommended using the pins, and that they dont use them..

Moral of the story, they are contradicting their instructions, and dont use the alignment pins.

The lack of thread sealant on the intake bolts just allows oil to be sucked down the threads. It wouldn't kill an engine, but it would consume oil .

The dowel pins on the Monster Clutch need to be "pressed" in. I used High temp loc-tite and pounded mine in. I can tell by the OPs post, they are not completely installed. My guess the reason they may have fallen out. Nearly half or over half will slide into the flywheel, his look like they are barely in.
Old 10-29-2013 | 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bhobbs
Is the block salvageable?
I think it is, but im gonna have to take it to the machine shop and have them go over it. The ls market just isnt very big here, I had a heck of a time parting out a wrecked 02 SS and the 98 WS6. Both of which I didnt wreck.

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
Would not sealing the rocker bolts really kill an engine though? How long did it last after the hci?
No, but It was prolly burning so much oil that I prolly ran it low. It burned oil the entire time, I had always assumed it was the rings. I always check it once a month, but obviously not good enough. Lasted about two years i think.

Def my fault, this time will be different.
Old 10-29-2013 | 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pferris

Its funny how they changed their installation instructions emphasizing to press in the dowel pins. The damage doesnt look very bad, and looks like it wont be an issue but i emailed them incase.

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
The dowel pins on the Monster Clutch need to be "pressed" in. I used High temp loc-tite and pounded mine in. I can tell by the OPs post, they are not completely installed. My guess the reason they may have fallen out. Nearly half or over half will slide into the flywheel, his look like they are barely in.
I could be wrong but Im certain I hammered mine all the way flush with the clutch, though I dont have any pics. The one pictured I was able to wiggle out.

Not sure if I should install them like you mentioned or just not use them at all?

Last edited by Rich92RS; 10-29-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2013 | 12:54 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

I really like Kyle @ Thompson. Pricewise, it's not much different than having it done locally, but he offers a warranty. And based on what I've seen here on the forum, he actually honors it.
Even with shipping Thompson is cheaper than our local builders here....probably the route I'll go.
Old 10-29-2013 | 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

I think it is, but im gonna have to take it to the machine shop and have them go over it. The ls market just isnt very big here, I had a heck of a time parting out a wrecked 02 SS and the 98 WS6. Both of which I didnt wreck.
That's surprising. The few times I have seen LS cars in the junkyards around here, they were pretty well gutted.
Old 10-29-2013 | 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses guys! I have milled 5.3 heads with springs. Idk if the guy that build the motor sealed mine. My car doesn't really use oil. Maybe half a quart to a quart by oil changing time, but every stock ls seams to do that.

My car doesn't smoke, but my plug threads get oil on them. Def never enough to come close to the top of the plug or the electrode.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-30-2013 | 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Its funny how they changed their installation instructions emphasizing to press in the dowel pins. The damage doesnt look very bad, and looks like it wont be an issue but i emailed them incase.

I could be wrong but Im certain I hammered mine all the way flush with the clutch, though I dont have any pics. The one pictured I was able to wiggle out.

Not sure if I should install them like you mentioned or just not use them at all?
There is no way mine could wiggle out. They are in there and sealed with loc-tite. My stock LS flywheel had dowel pins, so I assume as long as there is a press fit, they will stay.
Old 10-30-2013 | 08:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by handyandy496
jake is that thing running lol.
No. I work all the damn time. lol

Maybe I'll get it running by mid November. That's my hope at least.
Old 11-11-2013 | 08:31 PM
On The Tree

TMS block and BTR sgt III cam showed up today. Kyle and Ryan at TMS have been a huge help answering all my questions. Brian at BTR has been nothing but great aswell.

Need to decide on a timing gear set and which lifters to run. Plus a bunch of other parts still need to be ordered. Hopefully I'll have everything by the weekend.

Old 11-11-2013 | 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Hot rodder's never mind an early Santa visit......Hee Hee
Old 11-11-2013 | 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, I recently bough the TMS 370ci as well (and cam too) and just bolted on my heads and intake. I think you will be very happy with the new motor, and Kyle's customer service is absolutely top notch!
Old 11-11-2013 | 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

+2 for Kyle's customer service
Old 12-19-2013 | 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Its Alive!!!

Quick Reply: Time For A New Shortblock...