Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on thunder racing's T-rex cam...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:25 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe we will finally have some real track times this weekend.

Well Saturday for sure.

Coach
Old 05-07-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spinning a stock engine to 7000rpm (300 passes/17,000mi). Our stock LS1 was shifted at 6500-6600 for 500 passes and 26,000mi.

Will it hold? Dunno.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Big difference between a stock engine spinning to 6500 and one spinning to 7000.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a 12 bolt and 4.10 gears my rpm's dropp 400-500 shifting slow on the street just driving around town.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

They have to drop more than that. "shift recovery" is determined by transmission gear ratios, not rear-end gear ratios. You drop more than that by a good 500rpm or more.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Launching!

The statement above has to be the least intelligent thing i've heard in a while..

1. 90% of f-body owners dont mod their cars anyways. I for one will have a 12-bolt and the stock tranny can take upwards of 500 horse with no problems. Which that cam alone is not produce 500 hp

2. The engine will not come apart unless you dont do springs like most intelligent people do when they swap a cam.

Yes that cam is a dyno queen, but until I see some quartermile time slips with that cam I'm not impressed with its low end numbers.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ohmyneck
The statement above has to be the least intelligent thing i've heard in a while..

1. 90% of f-body owners dont mod their cars anyways. I for one will have a 12-bolt and the stock tranny can take upwards of 500 horse with no problems. Which that cam alone is not produce 500 hp

2. The engine will not come apart unless you dont do springs like most intelligent people do when they swap a cam.

Yes that cam is a dyno queen, but until I see some quartermile time slips with that cam I'm not impressed with its low end numbers.

Wow, that whole post was bullshit.

#1 The stock tranny regularly lets go at those power levels, especially if it actually has the torque to back it up.

#2 It absolutely will come apart if operated at 7200rpm. It may do it for a bit, but not for long. The stock shortblock can not handle it.

#3 I referred to the people on this board and reading this forum. They mod their cars.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default um, NO

um, no. lets start with this.

Originally Posted by Ohmyneck

lets not confuse RWHP to Flywheel hp. tranny is not the issue, a clutch is the weak part. also stock trannys taking that kind of torque get eaten alive all the time. just ask any fast MN6 racer on this board.

i cant begin to tell you how wrong you are on this point. YES ofcourse a stock motor that was designed to run at a MAX of 6200 rpms will not survive long at 7000 rpms. hell STOCK valvesprings are too weak for STOCK shiftpoints. there are a TON of things that can go wrong in a loose tolerence stock rotating assembly. you can strong springs but still cant control the rest of the valvetrane. lifters, stock pushrods, etc. stock rod bolts are junk and stretch with stock rev limitor runs. stock pistons are not the cylinderwalls friends at that rpm. everything can let go at that rpm because it wasnt designed for that use.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

also please dont pay attention to the tach when looking for how many rpms your motor drops as it enters its next gear. no, it is not 400-500 rpms lol, not even CLOSE. a 6500 rpm shift point will net somewhere around 4900 rpm shift recovery if i believe i am not mistaken. Denz knows this stuff
Old 05-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Wow.. Someone must have read this months edition of import tuner magazine

1. I know more than my share of people running over 450rwhp and have no problems with their tranny other than the clutch. If you really dont have an idea what somthing can take, and just wanna take a guess thats fine.. But dont BS about cars with other car people. Besides that clutch alone isnt making more than 450 rwhp anyways. Your talking like its running 600+

2. I dont know of anyone that drives around town at 7,200 rpm. I only drive in upwards of 5,000 rpm when I'm at WOT so If its a daily driver, that gets a few track visits a year, I dont see it getting to much 7,200 rpm time. With right parts to go with a cam swap, i dont see it failing like your claims. Besides isnt there a couple guys running this cam in a daily driver with no problems anyways?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

bro, you are going down the wrong road. you are 20 and are credit card happy. we are not. there are MANY on this board with real world experience. myself included. you are wrong and if you continue with this attitude, well, you will be paying those credit card bills on a broken car. have you ever owned a car with 450 rwhp? you are trying to play it off as if it is no biggie. right hommie?

450 rwhp and no problems dont go together. anything that is taken to its limit will have problems. maybe not right away, but 5,10k miles later, oh hell yea.

if you are looking for information, open your eyes and ears. if you want to brag about yo' shiet icy hot stunna, do it elsewhere. dont insult other people that have been there. while you asked for opinions. if you dont want to spin the motor to 7200 rpms then go with a small cam. if you want too, then your motor will be short lived. it doesnt matter if you think the motor will live at that rpm. it just wont.

lastly, dont put a race cam in a car that goes to the track a few times a year.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I'm 20, and I have a damn good head on my shoulders. I dont say things like "yo' shiet icy hot stunna" just because I'm a younger guy. I for one dont like things being said like "thats the least intelligent thing I've heard" just because I asked a simple question if this cam was streetable or not. Yes I know 450+ rwhp is alot of hp for a daily driver. But things have allready changed since i made my first post, and I didnt feel like I needed to inform everyone that my car will no longer be a daily driver, just strickly my weekend warrior. I'm not asking anyone to play daddy and tell me that taking 10K out on a loan to mod my car is stupid, because no one knows my monthly income, and no one knows my situation at hand other than the simple question that i asked.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

For your information, this is the post I was referencing:

From a graph I just looked at, shifting at 7200 is going to be the ticket with the Trex. Otherwise, your RPM will fall out of the power on the next gear.

Spin da bitch!!!
Your simple question has been answered. You seem to know everything, so have at it.

Please let us know when you're tearing down the block and looking at 8 rods nearly welded together thanks to a rod bolt failure. We'll all get a good laugh and then show you the pictures we have. Wait, perhaps that's why we're offering advice. We've been there, done the post mortem, and understand a bit of what is going on.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe DIESO
Thats awesome, I am sure I can muster a tad more mph out of my cam with better driving but I am running 116-117 with 402 rwhp (that was with a 10 bolt, who knows how low it is now with the 12 bolt); goes to show that dyno's are nice and all but the track is the only way to prove your new found power.

BTW, my limiter is set to 6,800 rpm, I was shifting @ 6,500 rpm at the track, didn't see the point in rev'ing the **** out of the motor if my launching wasnt so well. I'm in no rush, I've got time.
joe, im kinda concerned with you #'s man, the owner at thunder was getting really worried when my car wasnt doing better that 403 with the 12 bolt and current gears(then we found the problem), so i think you need to get the guy who tuned you car to mes with it some more. what is you timing running at. a/f ratio. you should see peak power just at 6800. it will carry out flat a few more hundred but no more gains after that.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Offering advice is perfectly fine with me. Thats why I'm hear to learn because I dont know everything.

But saying useless stuff like "Thats the least intelligent thing I've heard" isnt what I was asking for. So once you can figure out how to help someone without some sort of smart *** re-mark your more than welcome to post a reply.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

oh, any the only reason i am spinng 7200 is because i plan on doing a forged bottom end in a few months. so i dont care at the moment. i just hope it holds up for 50-60 passes
Old 05-07-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't wanna **** on your shoes, but the bottom end of the LS6 is virtually identical to the LS1. It can sustain 6600 all day long, and so far has survived 7000 on a weekly basis for 2 years in our car. If I understand it right, they change the rod bolts and run them to 7500 for T1 competition.

Sure, I'd rather make power lower and only spin to 6500. But reality is, you give up about 8% of available HP by going with the lower limit. If you are willing to risk it, you can make more power.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't make sense to me on a stock bottom. (such a HUUGE cam)
Are those guys slow?
For that cam?
Heck I run high 12.3's with a few bolt ons and stock cam & no headers all motor.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you "peak" is at 6800, your best ET's will be shifting ~500rpm after that point from my experience. Our LS1 peaked at 6000, so 6500-6600, our LS6 peaked at 6400, so 6900-7000.

Shifting after the peak makes it so you have more area under the curve of your "useful" powerband.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Don't make sense to me on a stock bottom. (such a HUUGE cam)
Are those guys slow?
For that cam?
Heck I run high 12.3's with a few bolt ons and stock cam & no headers all motor.
is who slow. looks to me like you have MT tires runing 12.3's right. i went 12.2 on nittos and i know i would have broke 11's with MT's this is with 3600lbs raceweight. slap you some headers on there and you could go 11's also. plus you have a a4

Quick Reply: Opinions on thunder racing's T-rex cam...