Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup for a linear TQ and HP curve.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Setup for a linear TQ and HP curve.

I was putting together a turbo setup for my 5.3 powered bmw.....After driving a boosted 5.3l recently I decided that it was just to stupid for what I wanted out of the car. This isn't a straight line car, I have more money in the suspension to make it turn then I paid for it.

I want something that has decent torque, but more rpm range then the stock truck cam can offer. I have looked at charts and the TR cheatr v3 looks nice but I don't think they're available.

What I'm thinking for the motor.

LS1 car intake
862 heads milled .20 or .30"
speedpro flat top pistons (possibly)
Cam???
valve springs
stock bottom end
custom headers
ported ls1 TB

I'd like to make 350-400hp at the wheels through a modified 4l60e. Keep in my again. I'd like a nice linear curve through the power band, not something that spikes hard.

What would you suggest? would the GM hot cam get me there or something else?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It seems to me like in boosted setups, the air compressor plays more of a role in the torque curve than anything else. How you bring in the boost, more specifically, seems to be the determining factor. A linear torque curve is pretty common with a centrifugal supercharger since it speeds up with RPM. A turbo application is exhaust driven by contrast, and unless you have something progressive set up via a boost controller, it inherently comes in more "spikey" as boost increases at a more exponential rate.

I would look into boost controllers and sizing the turbo to make the curve you want, not camshafts.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
It seems to me like in boosted setups, the air compressor plays more of a role in the torque curve than anything else. How you bring in the boost, more specifically, seems to be the determining factor. A linear torque curve is pretty common with a centrifugal supercharger since it speeds up with RPM. A turbo application is exhaust driven by contrast, and unless you have something progressive set up via a boost controller, it inherently comes in more "spikey" as boost increases at a more exponential rate.

I would look into boost controllers and sizing the turbo to make the curve you want, not camshafts.
Thanks for you input, that's not a bad idea, maybe I'll hit up the guys in the forced induction area.

Quick Reply: Setup for a linear TQ and HP curve.