Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick Performance emission friendly cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Ah, I'm glad Florida doesn't do any sort of emissions testing. I ripped all my **** out, much to the dismay of my wife. "Why are you polluting?!"

Because HP.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
to tell u the truth, if u want to go fast, sell ur fbody and get a z06. Smog over here is getting out of hand. My friends STOCK except borla adj exhaust 02 ss went in for a star smog and they were trying to fail him on the visuals because it didn't have the carb# on a factory cats. luckly my friend went to school for smog cert and he knows his stuff and told off the smog tech.
I don't want to be the fastest car out there, just enough power to take out the new cars that are stock or keep up with them.

Originally Posted by Burken01
Do what we do, pass smog while Its stock. Then add the cam the next day..
I don't want to be swapping parts every two years.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Empatho
Just looking for some info on this cam. How does the cam perform, what kind of gas millage does it get? I searched but I couldn't really find much. And also, whats the valve train longevity like?

Basically I live in the comi state of California and I want to get a cam that would be good for a daily driver and that would also pass the smog, so no headers. I also like that the sleeper approach, I have been thinking of getting an ls6 cam since it would pass the smog and drive like stock, but I know I could do better. I have an m6 2002 z28, right now my performance mods are port and polished throttle body, lid, ftra, cat back, and under drive pulley. I got some 243 heads that I'm planning to send to ai or west coast racing cylinder heads, and I been debating on what cam to get.
FYI, you can still fail a visual inspection if the gm heads on your car were not available for your car/engine.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28

FYI, you can still fail a visual inspection if the gm heads on your car were not available for your car/engine.
How educated are these people getting?

That if 243 heads are on a 98-02 camaro that they will really find out?

At that point I would dremel the 243 number off lol
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

empatho, believe me i said the same thing when i did my cam. once u get bit with the mod bug, its very hard to stop. i live in cali and i put down 409rwhp 377rwtq on a mustang dyno and im pretty fast for alot of cars out there but I WANT MORE. the new star smogs shops are being monitored by the BAR and is getting alot more strict with shops not allowing any room for error, which makes the smogs techs more **** about little things.

Last edited by CaliboyTA; 11-16-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well if they know anything about LS1 heads they'll know where to look on the heads and for the casting number. If they find no casting number the standard procedure when in doubt is to fail you on the visual. Then let you sort it out with a smog ref..
IMO just something to keep in mind. The odds are it won't happen, but it could.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if they know anything about LS1 heads they'll know where to look on the heads and for the casting number. If they find no casting number the standard procedure when in doubt is to fail you on the visual. Then let you sort it out with a smog ref..
IMO just something to keep in mind. The odds are it won't happen, but it could.
I bet they have scouts on the forums "learning" our secrets
Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
empatho, believe me i said the same thing when i did my cam. once u get bit with the mod bug, its very hard to stop. i live in cali and i put down 409rwhp 377rwtq on a mustang dyno and im pretty fast for alot of cars out there but I WANT MORE. the new star smogs shops are being monitored by the BAR and is getting alot more strict with shops not allowing any room for error, which makes the smogs techs more **** about little things.
Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting more power it does get addictive. But I don't want to put much money into the car because I'm planning on getting a c7 corvette in a couple more years. Its true about the smog, I'm still waiting to see how the new smog rules are going to play out.

I figured that it could happen but its very rare, and that's why I don't want to do headers so there is less of a chance to be sent to a reff if I get pulled over.

That's what I was thinking of doing so they wouldn't be able to see what kind of heads they are. I also noticed on some gm trucks that some of the heads have no numbers on them. I seen 3 trucks so far that had no numbers on the heads. Everything looked stock on the trucks, most likely from a rebuild or something.

Last edited by Empatho; 11-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Tick Performance emission friendly cam