Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

main caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main caps

please forgive me if there is already a thread on this, but i am in the process of rebuilding my short block and was curious if i should get a set of billet mains with the dowels. its not a super high horsepower engine, im hoping for a little over 500 at the crank but i do have plans for some boost in the future but not a lot since im going to have a compression ratio of 11.1:1. i already have mahle forged pistons, and scat h-beam forged rods, but i have the stock crank. down the line im thinking i should get 650 respectivley with boost/tuning/ect, so the question is...are billet mains worth it?? i already have arp main stud kit, and i will be using either clevite or callies coated main bearings. is there anything else i should take into consideration in the short block, i already have a billet double roller, melling hp/hv oil pump, stock pan, pick up, and windage tray/baffle. i looked at girdles also but im not making a 1000hp so i dont know if that will be worth it also. if you have any experience in building high horespower ls based engine, etc, please help me, this is only my 3rd build and my last one was 478 at the crank, i just need some suggestions on what route to go for insurance.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For the power you want pinning the main caps/ billet caps or a girdle are not necessary..

Arp main studs/ stock crank, that's a proven 800-1000 hp that's been done a lot on here..
Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Oh OK, that's going to save some money because they look and sound like good ideas, but I wouldn't know since I've never used them in my own personal builds. Thanks for the input, but what is pinning the caps? II've never heard of that before, would that be good extra insurance or just still not worth it? My entire build is with ARP bolts/studs and fasteners and iI'm just looking for all that extra bottom end insuranc tthat i can find. Thanks

Last edited by kwerikson; 11-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

The stock main caps are just fine. The stock bolts even seem to hold up to a pretty high horsepower. Glad you went ARP anyways. You are good to go.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kwerikson
Oh OK, that's going to save some money because they look and sound like good ideas, but I wouldn't know since I've never used them in my own personal builds. Thanks for the input, but what is pinning the caps? II've never heard of that before, would that be good extra insurance or just still not worth it? My entire build is with ARP bolts/studs and fasteners and iI'm just looking for all that extra bottom end insuranc tthat i can find. Thanks
You mentioned billet mains with dowel pins, that's what I was referring to by pinning the caps..

Like I said arp main studs and head bolts/studs and your good to go..
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'm just going to stick with my current set up, its going to save some money in the long run, I appreciate the input, thank you
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kwerikson
Thanks guys, I'm just going to stick with my current set up, its going to save some money in the long run, I appreciate the input, thank you
Yes these engines are factory strong with 6 bolt mains. And the iron counterpart to the ls1 is even stronger..

Quick Reply: main caps