Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 5.3 LM7 Stock Rebuild- Part Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.3 LM7 Stock Rebuild- Part Recommendations

I just bought a 2004, LM7 from the junkyard (150k miles) and after reading three books, I started to tear into it- very slowly and methodically, labeling and taking tons of pictures of everything. I don't have a truck to drop it in yet but plan on buying a 2004, 4-door Z71 4x4, hopefully with a blown motor to save cost. My plan is to replace the rings, bearings and gaskets to build a new engine while gaining an amazing experience. I will have a machine shop check all tolerances- crank, cam, cylinders etc... Hoping nothing big needs to be replaced or that I will not have to bore the cylinders.

Even though I know not to expect much gain (not without other mods too) the ONLY "performance" mod I want to make is to port and polish the heads myself- only because I see it as a personal challenge. Also because I'm super meticulous and am confident that I can do a good job (I have a pipe fitting background with hours and hours of die grinder time logged)

Anywho, the big question- is there a recommended kit for rings, bearings and gaskets- manufacturer? Is it cheaper to buy these separate or together? Finally, where is the best/cheapest place to get it/them- EBay?

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

Also, any advise is appreciated!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

I found it cheaper to buy everything separate...Mahle rings, sealed power bearings, victor reinz gaskets in my lm7...I did purchase gm head gaskets but that's just a habit...most of the stuff can be had reasonably either through your local auto parts supplier, eBay, sponsors here, or many other performance parts distributors ie: summit or jegs. Don't use autozone or advance, IMO they will not know what bearings you need, it's been awhile but depending on your motors build date there are 3 variations on cam bearings...you will want to verify which you have prior to ordering
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello how are You today ? First to do it correctly to last You'll need to have the rod big ends honed out .002" then buy either clevitte bearings which are .002" larger outer diameter or sealed power/federal mogule makes them also . When I did Mine I was able to find a place local that had those clevites but You'll probably need to order Them .Go to Federal Mogules web site and You should be able to get part #'s . Alex's parts has pretty good deals , WS6 Store and Summit ,,also Fred Beans Parts . You just have to look around compare and decide . Oh ya Rockauto parts has really good deals
Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Superslow0288, thank you for the feedback. What do you think a good target price for replacing all the parts necessary? I really hope it's nothing close to the 1,100 dollar kits I've been seeing but will check it out tomorrow. Also, the torque to yield head bolts- are these GM specific parts?

Chrisfrost, This is my first rebuild but in my reading there was no mention of honing rods. If I've misunderstood please provide more detail, if not, would you help a novice understand the advantage or disadvantage of performing this step vs. not?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2004 5.3 LM7 Stock Rebuild- Part Recommendations