Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long for the computer to learn

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013 | 08:04 PM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Default how long for the computer to learn

I just got the computer back with the tune for the cam. how long does it take for it to relearn. it has a noticeable bog when I hit the throttal quick.
Old 12-01-2013 | 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

No such thing, your computer is not an AI. More tuning needed on car.
Old 12-02-2013 | 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes you have to disconnect the Battery and re-connect, if not then the tune needs to be worked on.
Old 12-02-2013 | 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe try the tune/diagnostics forum for answers??
Old 12-02-2013 | 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I just got the computer back with the tune for the cam. how long does it take for it to relearn
The tune that you just mentioned IS the relearn. It doesn't really do anything on it's own besides trying to get your part throttle fueling in line. Anything else needs to be done by an actual tuner, so if you have complaints about the tune then you need to go back to the tuner and tell him that to fix it. The computer does not know about your complaint, so it won't fix anything on its own.
Old 12-03-2013 | 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fuel trims can go plus or minus ~20% as the computer "learns" from the sensors. Not to mention idle trims yada yada. I have no clue what predz is smoking over there. That being said, tune or no tune, modded or unmodded, I have never driven an LS car with a bog. So sounds like you've got something else going on.
Old 12-03-2013 | 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

And I'm sorry, to specifically answer your question, short term fuel and idle trims adjustments begin immediately.
Old 12-03-2013 | 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Contact your tuner and have him/her review the tune.
Old 12-03-2013 | 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Fuel trims can go plus or minus ~20% as the computer "learns" from the sensors. Not to mention idle trims yada yada. I have no clue what predz is smoking over there.
Yeah but what you just described is called "adjusting", not "learning". The computer can adjust for big differences in fueling by these trims to bring the AFR to say 14.7.

But the trims will always stay the same -20% for example. It never "learns" that the car is always running rich and makes permanent adjustments to the fueling so that the trims are near 0. All that it does it make the adjustment, but in order for the computer to learn the new fueling requirements it needs an actual flash, it won't do that on its own.
Old 12-03-2013 | 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doesn't matter, end result is the same, essentially except, less adjustment wiggle room. If you take in input, then adjust output based solely on that input......well hey maybe you're definition of learn is different then mine. Or hey maybe some intelligent people here are purposely not giving advice because they are too critical of how one member uses one word in his post. Short terms "patterns" turn into long term constant fuel trims, sounds a **** of a lot like learning to me. Again, the actual question was a bog, and any tune remotely close wont have one, in my experience.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-04-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2013 | 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

sounds a **** of a lot like learning to me.
No, learning involves a computer seeing -20% trims constantly, then actually altering the VE or other fueling tables so that the trims going forward are -1% to 1%.

If computers were able to "learn" there there would be no use for tuners. You would just put in a big cam, new heads, supercharger and after a while the car would run perfectly because the computer learned and applied the correct fueling, timing and all other stuff.

Somehow I don't believe that's the case, and in this instance of the OP mentioning a "bog" I somehow doubt the computer will learn enough for it to correct the bog. Without a tuner, that bog will always be there.
Old 12-03-2013 | 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Fuel trims can go plus or minus ~20% as the computer "learns" from the sensors. Not to mention idle trims yada yada. I have no clue what predz is smoking over there. That being said, tune or no tune, modded or unmodded, I have never driven an LS car with a bog. So sounds like you've got something else going on.
You were right about the 'I have no clue part'
Old 12-03-2013 | 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're too bitter to give useful advice, why are you still here.
Old 12-03-2013 | 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redtan
No, learning involves a computer seeing -20% trims constantly, then actually altering the VE or other fueling tables so that the trims going forward are -1% to 1%.

If computers were able to "learn" there there would be no use for tuners. You would just put in a big cam, new heads, supercharger and after a while the car would run perfectly because the computer learned and applied the correct fueling, timing and all other stuff.

Somehow I don't believe that's the case, and in this instance of the OP mentioning a "bog" I somehow doubt the computer will learn enough for it to correct the bog. Without a tuner, that bog will always be there.
That's fine, you're right the VE will always be incorrect until tuned. Doesn't mean the car will run bad, or cause any actual short term or long term detrimental effects. The ability to trim is fantastic....its one of the great things that separates us from the carb days. You do realize those hunks of metal still today work pretty darn good right? Everything isn't as complicated as some want you to believe.
Old 12-03-2013 | 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gMAG
Contact your tuner and have him/her review the tune.
Ditto.
Old 12-03-2013 | 08:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

What converter are you running with the 4L80E? Bog can be a sign of a really high stall torque converter not flashing because you didn't hit the gas hard enough to get past the slip. The 221/226 cam in a 6L shouldn't take miraculous tuning to run. Hell, it would probably run decent on the stock tune. What would suck if not tuned, is the higher stall converter...

Or is the bog is happening on the 1-2 shift (which isn't as bad in the 4L80 vs the 60 due to gear ratios)? Are you still running a stock stall? That's a dead spot for these engines with a 60 and I imagine it's better with the 80, but don't have any real world experience with it.
Old 12-05-2013 | 10:48 PM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Red face sorry guys here is more info

Ok so i intend on getting with the tuner but he is on vacation for the week. I already had a hot tune running the msd wires,emissions deleted, no rear o2 sensors, and 1 3/4 headders and full 3" exhaust. Before the cam swap i could pop the throttle in park and it would rev real quick and crisp. The truck is not to a drivable point at the time and has not seen any load on the engine. The only think i did was swap the cam,push rods and springs. It started and with a little help finally learned to idle with the first tune but you could hear it hunting some. I let it run a good 45 min up to temp to make sure all was good and to put a good heat and cool cycle on the parts. I then sent the computer to the tuner, i know he knowes his stuff and does a good job but i also know all engines are different and its an edicuated guess! I got it back and ofchorse its cold and late so i just fired it to see what happened. It started right up and idles fine. I dont hear it hunting any more. So i let it run a min or two still cold i hit the throttle and its like it just starves for a second or two. If you ease into the throttle it will rev up some but a quick flip has a noticable stall. I know the computer wont relearn persay. But i also know that it reads the sensors and adjust timing and fuel. My though was does it need to run a while to adjust to the parameter changes. I was thinking that maybe it did not have enough run time to effectivly adjust the needed spark and fule for a throttal pop. Ofchorse this is wishful thinking because my gut says the tune is probably still not quite keeping up with the added air. Im not pulling any codes but, but with that said im not sure how much he has disabled. One other thing. I have a 24x24 shop and ideling it sounds great but it will make your eyes water from the fumes. It was like that before the cam as well. Just from the sound of it tho when you hit the throttle you hear the k&n huff the air but the rumble of the exhaust note is just not there. On the stock cam when you hit the throttle it would scream and rattle the metal walls. If i get a chance this weekend i will warm it up for a bit and see what it does if it still falls on its face ill get a video. It idles to well for me to think there is a issue besides the tune. Altho i have heard if you run rich to long it can foul the p2 sensors
Old 12-06-2013 | 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Really..you need to have a tuner sit in the truck and "fine" tune the smaller details to make it 100%. Just because it idles nicely doesnt mean the tune is spot on for throttle..I went through a very similar issue.I took the car back to my tuner and mentioned the car drives fine..idles great but quick stab of throttle and it would stumble..if i ease into it and then stab it everything was fine.We sat in the car for 15 mins and ironed it out.No amount of run time is going to make it go away automatically.
Old 12-07-2013 | 05:20 PM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Default conclusion

red bull I fired her up today and got her up to temp. I have the exact condition you describe. it runs great if I ease into it and then stab it. the only time I see a lag is if I stab it off idle. other then that it seems to be great. no hunting. revs quick if you give it a little then stab it comes right back to a lopy idle. so now i know the only way to fix it is to get it tuned to fix that small issue. the question now is do i want to try and fix it now through the mail wich may be hard or just live with it till i can get a full dyno tune. i mean really if it will run and drive like this i doubt i will ever notice it. the only time you stab it is if your showing off or trying to spin the tires lol. i a race you bring the rpms up any how. i know the best thing i can do is get a dyno tune if i ever want all the truck has to offer. thanks for the info from all the others
Old 12-08-2013 | 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

I had this issue even after my dyno tune.I had my tuner look at it 8months after since the car was away.He fixed it simply sitting in the car for 15 mins as i continually revved the car and we watched what the ecm was doing and why..then tuned some things and that was it.I logged better mpg ..much crisper throttle response especially from a stop where it would sometimes bog.I lived with it for awhile but always bothered me that the car wasnt 100%.Mail order tune wont give you that.

Quick Reply: how long for the computer to learn