Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm upset with my mods/performance... What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all else said, dont run a 12 second car on the street and use it as a fact. take it to the track and get a true number. there is too many things that come into play on the street, and without a recorded time, your never really going to know.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve- You clutch was fine on the dyno...your rpm and primary wheel speed were perfect. Its not slipping---- yet .

As far as roll racing...it never works out...its all about power band. I had cars that were 2 seconds slower than me only lose by a car on the highway due to power band. Take it to the track before you do anything else. 15 bucks and you can figure it out with a time slip.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you can FEEL the clutch slipping it is costing you big time.

Replace the clutch. Those numbers on a stang dyno are worth 120mph easily in the 1/4 at full weight.

I would NOT sell the heads and cam that is ridiculous
Old 05-10-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it tuned?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lswonder
Is it tuned?
If you read through the posts, he states several times that APE did the tune
Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh sorry i didnt read all of it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Two comments:

Get a new clutch as mentioned above.

Redyno on a dynojet so you can compare more accurately to what others are getting. The Mustang also has a dynojet simulation factor so you should be able to get a pretty good idea of dynojet rwhp one way or the other.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

V8maro what did you pick up from the tune itself for that 5 hundo ?
I'm curious to know your numbers before the "tune." BTW has your car been re-ringed per the TSB ? Do you consume any oil ?

AP (Brian) asked on the other thread if I was willing to come take a few runs on thier dyno (free) to see if I put down or "confirm" what I did on the Livernois Motorsports Mustang untuned. I called the bluff and said name the time and I have not heard back....Livernois said I would pick up "alot" from a tune and I have been on the fence since and curious how much that could possibly be. I had "heard" AP did good tuning & that the guy was from Katech. But whatever.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Well what does your car weigh and his car weigh? I raced a friend of mine with a 2001 Z28 thats at 3200lbs (Z06cam,Centerforce clutch,pacesetters+ORY=catback,Lid,MAFT) and im at 3600lbs(TR224, full boltons, RAMstg1), I make more power on the dyno by about 15-20 Hp then him and he pulled me.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:40 PM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Mireck-

Sorry i didnt see the thread where you replied. There was no "bluff" to be called. I just wanted you to compare numbers on my dyno so you can let steve know what yours are compared to a dynojet. Livernois name was never brought up as far as i knew. My dyno is open all day tomarrow . Give me a call .
Old 05-10-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Well what does your car weigh and his car weigh? I raced a friend of mine with a 2001 Z28 thats at 3200lbs (Z06cam,Centerforce clutch,pacesetters+ORY=catback,Lid,MAFT) and im at 3600lbs(TR224, full boltons, RAMstg1), I make more power on the dyno by about 15-20 Hp then him and he pulled me.
uhhh sorry bout that steve i kinda weigh 250lbs here, oopps, i doubt the other guys weighted as much as us not to mention the formulas are lighter.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a decent clutch and get to the track. See what your MPH is. What happened on the street dont mean **** IMO. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian@AP-Engineering
Steve- You clutch was fine on the dyno...your rpm and primary wheel speed were perfect. Its not slipping---- yet .

As far as roll racing...it never works out...its all about power band. I had cars that were 2 seconds slower than me only lose by a car on the highway due to power band. Take it to the track before you do anything else. 15 bucks and you can figure it out with a time slip.
Brian: Right, during the pull, the clutch was fine, not slipping during the pull, it dies on any hard shift tho =\
Well, I did 2 roll races, one from 30mph - 120 and nother from 50mph-130. The first time he kinda got the jump and we were even, the second time we pretty much got on it at the same time and I had like 1/2 car on him.

Mirek:
Well, my initial "5 hundo" tune gained me:
!CAGS
Timing Tables tune
5 dyno pulls
AF tune
26rwhp
17rwtq

My second tune by APE (same dyno, same tuner, close weather) and a hellova lot less than $500 (thank Brian & Chris)
Timing Tables tune
5 dyno pulls
AF tune
8rwhp
6rwtq

I trust APE and Kurt, their work is not the question here.

No, I do not have piston slap, no need to re-ring it, kind of a dumb question you have there.
I do consume oil, but that is the normal PCV problem, which I will be fixing soon by ordering a catch can.

If you are doubting the work of APE, you are sorely mistaken. Livernois is a newbie to the LS1 world in comparison to APE.

Ravenous T\A:
I haven't weighed it in a while, but it tipped the 3700lbs mark last time, I will make it a point to go check it again tonight.

FYI: It was myself and Hourang in my car, the car I raced was a formula, 150lbs guy and some bigger guy about 250-300lbs.

Let's say I do goto the track with a new clutch and I get a 'somewhat' descent 60', but the MPH is at like 115 or something, what should I be worried about then? (I have a feeling it is around there for some reason)

-Steve
Old 05-10-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude if the air was fairly crummy I wouldnt worry about 115. My car varies by up to 4 mph between bad air and good air.You cant compare the MPH you see from other cars there are too many variables. If the air was pretty shitty and you went 115 dont sweat it.You see 120 in my sig, how often do you think I can do that. The dyno gave you good #s. Wait till some 40-50 degree weather and low humidity and see what it runs! My .02
Old 05-10-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was just a 'what if' statement, my car did 112mph BEFORE the ls6 intake, cutout & tune (in really good weather). Maybe I did pick up that much, maybe I didn't we will see on a nice day soon.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Nothing to do with piston slap (??) but LS1's do burn oil...some very badley.
This is common knowledge. There was a TSB on the issue--not sure if your car was included but you say it does burn oil....so put try and put two and two together. There was a ring improvement (napier style) it was not a dumb question to ask if you had this done but I do hope your "catch can" fixes your oil consumption problem hahaha.
Your car is broke and you can stop waiving the AP flag I Just asked what you got out of the tune. You are mighty defensive about your heap for someone asking for help.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, you are a troll, congrats.

My car burns about 1/2qt every 3k miles, thats not bad considering I race it quite a bit, on the low end for oil-consuming-ls1's. Maybe you should ask questions and get facts before acting like a tool. A catch can will fix it since most of it is coming in though the faulty PCV system. You obviously have some kind of 'thing' for me so whatever dude, quit trolling my posts, I no longer request YOUR help.
thanks
-Steve