Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really necessary to change the lifters when rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
Oh yeah...forgot to mention...its a stock rebuild
​​​​​​Sorry I'm late to the party but I've never purchased a new lifter for one of these engines and I've been playing with them since 2004. I currently have three running and driving Ls powered vehicles all with aftermarket camshafts and ls6 springs and they have had the cams swapped out several times as well experimenting trying different things. Check out my 376 build thread, the only new parts on that engine are the head gaskets, head bolts, valvestem seals, valvesprings, and pistons and rings because it was bored over. The entire rest of the valvetrain is from a used junkyard 4.8L and the bottom end sports the original 300k main bearings with a different crank also with about 300k on it. The rod bearings are also from the junkyard 4.8. put it together with what you have and wait until it breaks to spend money, you've got a better chance breaking something with a bad combo of aftermarket and worn parts that just worn parts alone IMO
Old 04-29-2020, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
When I was a kid I knew someone who had a Sunbird and if you drove it it would blow the head gasket, so moral of the story is don't drive your car.
Used to have a 93 Oldsmobile Achieva SCX W41 With the Quad 4. I loved that car, drove it all through college. Everytime I turned it off I got out and popped the hood and loosend the radiator cap so the pressure wouldn't push water into the cylinders while it cooled down. I drove it like that for the 6 years I had it and it would still burn the tires through the first two gears and bark third when I sold it. It was like a little Ferrari man

Quick Reply: Is it really necessary to change the lifters when rebuilding?