Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to start an LS1 outside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to start an LS1 outside the car?

I want to pick up an LS1 engine that's sitting outside the car at the junkyard. Even though it comes with a warranty, i don't want to go through the hassle of installing it and then removing it if there is a problem.

I've seen a video on youtube a while back of a guy starting an LS engine using only a battery and a starter in his garage...now i cant find the video.

So is it possible and how exactly do i do it? What about fuel?

P.S I'm literally at the junk yard right now waiting for instructions....no pressure

Last edited by Freefallin; 01-04-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How much do you want to run it? If you want to hear it idle you are going to need a high pressure fuel system. If you just want to verify it cranks and fires as in not already blown up then starting fluid could do the trick. Either way you need the wiring harness and power. Do the LS cars have a VATS like feature like the LT1 cars did where the engine wont fire unless there is a specific chip present in the key? That would be another problem unless that feature was somehow bypassed.

I don't think you are going to get to hear this run, this isn't something you can do on a whim, not a big deal once you are setup for it but not something you are likely to do at a moments notice at the boneyard.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing you may be able to do at the junkyard to see if the engine is okay is a compression test. Autozone has a comp tester you can borrow. Use jumper cables on the starter, connect positive to the larger stud on the starter and negative to the block, then to engage the starter supply 12v to the smaller stud on the starter. If it has a warranty I would just wait and do it at home. To have the engine run you need a fuel pump/regulator a modified harness and PCM with Vats turned off.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, my 2000 has VATS, which I had to bypass btw.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

As we can assume that as the PCM and (most of) the wiring harness is attached to the body of the donor vehicle, you won't be able to start and run this engine.

Is the starter still on the engine?

If yes, using jumper cables and a battery, you can crank it with an oil pressure gauge attached somewhere and watch for some pressure during cranking. Also, you could listen for any anomalous sounds like valvetrain or bearing noises.

Quick Reply: How to start an LS1 outside the car?