Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a few possibly internal problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a few possibly internal problems.

Not too long After i got my PTC stall installed, my car would have problems holding an idle. It would drive fine, just stumble over itself at a light, rpms would drop to 450-500 and then jump up. The car also burns a large amount of oil, very large. Were talking 2.5-3.5 quarts in 4000 miles. I try to keep her full between change intervals but would a bad pcv valve cause this? It doesnt smoke at all durning idle, deceleration or anything. After doing dumb stuff in a parking lot I got a small knocking sound coming from the engine, so I tried to baby her home. When slowing down to turn onto the on ramp she died so I fired her back up, she started fine and drove fine but I decided to just get a tow.

So now she's sitting on the street with the drivers side valve cover off. Before I thought the idling problems might be related to the knocking I got that night, but its just dawning on me that it could be an dirty iavc, maf, or IAC sensor. I'm going to clean these three and put her back together and also check for any vacuum leaks. The battery died while getting a tow, which is the second time the battery has been seriously drained to the point of dying, so should I just get a new battery?

From what I can see (can't get the valve cover all the way off without messing with the fuel system) the drivers side springs and rockers look fine. No noticeable wear, just a deep brown in color.

My plan is to put her back together and clean the iacv, IAC and maf. If she still has the knock I'll take both valve covers off all the way. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where do you hear the knocking coming from up top down low? Any videos... what were you doing in the parking lot were you bouncing off the rev limiter?? Do you have any upgrades
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Close to 4 qts in 4k miles??

Are you leaking oil anywhere, you might have gotten on it hard while only having a qt or so of oil
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like its coming from up top, its not too loud, I barely heard it while driving with no music. I got out the car and got a closer listen. Definitely sounds like its coming from the top end.

And no bouncing off the rev limiter, I did a simple donut, nothing extravagant or drawn out but maybe high g forces+ 5k rpm is what did it.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burken01
Close to 4 qts in 4k miles??

Are you leaking oil anywhere, you might have gotten on it hard while only having a qt or so of oil
OK maybe not exactly 4 QTS, I'd say a lot closer to 2-3.5 at the worst. Its still way too much, and the weird part is it doesn't smoke at all, ever. It does have a small leak, over the year I've had the car there's small drops of oil in the garage and on the street where the car is usually parked. It doesn't seem like a big enough leak to cause this type of oil consumption though.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28

OK maybe not exactly 4 QTS, I'd say a lot closer to 2-3.5 at the worst. Its still way too much, and the weird part is it doesn't smoke at all, ever. It does have a small leak, over the year I've had the car there's small drops of oil in the garage and on the street where the car is usually parked. It doesn't seem like a big enough leak to cause this type of oil consumption though.
Have you had the oil pan off recently?

It's hard to diagnose over the interwebz! But if its a steady leak then once you drive and get on it hard it will squirt out.

And if it doesn't hit exhaust pipes it won't smoke, the leak could be a straight shot to the floor
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burken01

Have you had the oil pan off recently?

It's hard to diagnose over the interwebz! But if its a steady leak then once you drive and get on it hard it will squirt out.

And if it doesn't hit exhaust pipes it won't smoke, the leak could be a straight shot to the floor
Oil pan hasn't been off since I had the car. I know there is oil on the bolt though, I'll be changing the oil once the car is up and running and I'll check to see if I can find the source then. Possibly rear main?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone think it could be a spun rod bearing?

Quick Reply: Having a few possibly internal problems.